2018 Maine Bear Hunt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

2018 Maine Bear Hunt

Some friends and I are planning a Maine bear hunt in 2018, one member of the group went to the Harrisburg show today to speak with some outfitters. He sent us three names he is very interested in and wondered if anyone had an experience (good, bad, or indifferent) with any of these choices they would like to share.

Mid-Maine Outfitters
Stony Brook Outfitters
Allagash Outfitters

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 02:38 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Only because I was just coming here to make the same post as above... It's actually Allagash Guide Service, just didn't want anyone to be confused if there is a similar outfitter.

Among our group of rookie bear hunters is a mix of guys that would like to hunt over bait and a few that would prefer hunting with hounds. So obviously the outfitter has to offer both types of hunts. After talking to several bear outfits at the outdoor show, we liked these 3 outfitters the best.

As Backwoods mentioned... have any of you guys hunted with any of these 3 outfitters? We would love some input from you guys.

Thanks in advance
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:18 AM

Stony Brook Outfitters hands down. Hunted with him with dogs. Bait hunters where there also. Shot two Bear with dogs first day, first thing in the morning. The Bait hunters all shot Bear but one. Great Dogs, Great Guide and great accommodations and food. You will become a friend for sure. PM me if any other questions. LORIDR on here has posted a lot about Stony Brook. Went to the outdoor show in Monroeville, he handed me a Brochure and said call the references. That was good enough for me. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 03:28 PM
Part of the Community

check out easternridge outfitters was only there one time but seen plenty of bear I just wasn't as good of a shot as I should have been my buddy was there two times and shot two bear and both were over 300lb they are a great bunch of guides and have tracking dogs if you make a bad hit
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 05:50 PM
The Man

I've hunted with Stony Brook four times; twice in Maine and twice in New Brunswick, all bait hunts. I've killed four bears and just wrote Bob a check for another spring hunt this May. Great outfit. His reputation in Maine is the best dog man around and the dog hunts run near 100% success. The lodge in Maine is really nice and the hunting territory in the Rangeley Mountains is spectacular.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 05:59 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by loridr View Post
I've hunted with Stony Brook four times; twice in Maine and twice in New Brunswick, all bait hunts. I've killed four bears and just wrote Bob a check for another spring hunt this May. Great outfit. His reputation in Maine is the best dog man around and the dog hunts run near 100% success. The lodge in Maine is really nice and the hunting territory in the Rangeley Mountains is spectacular.
Here's links to the stories I wrote on my Maine Stony Brook hunts:

The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community - View Single Post - Just back from Maine bear hunt

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/21-b...bear-hunt.html
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:46 PM

I have hunted with bob at stony brook outfitters since 1992. he is a great outfitter and a great person. his dogs are amazing if you choose to do a dog hunt which i highly recommend as it is fast paced and a participating hunt, you will see tons of great country and have the time of your life. if you are into stand hunting and the baiting deal he will put you on great bait sites with bears always visiting the sites. Stony Brook is the real deal and will always give you a great hunt hands down.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 07:43 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for the stories and info so far!! I'll be trying to get ahold of Bob with some booking questions soon.

Does anyone know if a 12 ga. slug gun would be a good choice for a hound hunt? And is a semi-automatic shotgun (11-87), contained to 3 shells, legal in Maine? From what I read about Maine laws on autoloaders, I think it would be legal. Anyone know for sure??

Again, thanks to all that have applied!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 09:06 PM

Can't wait to hear your story about your Hunt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page