Montana Draw Deadline - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Montana Draw Deadline

Don't forget for those who are coming to Montana, the draw deadline is March 15!!

Two Bear Outfitters
www.elkoutfitters.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Re: Montana Draw Deadline

Thought I would bump this up one last time for those intrested.

Two Bear Outfitters
www.elkoutfitters.com
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 12:54 PM
PHA
Frequent Contributor

2Bear:

It's amazing how quickly those apllication deadlines creep up on us!

With the passing of Initiative 161, this first year has got to one that residents, non-residents, politicians and outfitters will all be waiting to see what happens. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this change and how it will affect the hunting industry in Montana.

Thanks,

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I don't think I-161 is going to help anybody. From our perspective it is a difficult bill to deal with. Other states have land owner tags, outfitter requirements, and OTC areas, we have none of that now. What I have noticed is that our hunters are mostly putting if for party tags due to the draw. I understand that too, guys are subject to the draw and want to hunt with family and friends, so they are party applying. In Montana, a party is assigned one number, if that number is drawn they all are issued a tag, if not none of them are. Well stop and think about where we are as the outfitter. Most of our booked hunts are under party tag, if a couple of those parties don't get drawn, we will lose not just a hunt, but 7-8 hunts! Makes it impossible to budget. Since we offer a full refund for those who don't draw, all of our down money from booked hunts is being held. That money has to sit until the draw is completed and cannot be used for operating cost etc. I cannot order my certified hay, sign hunt contracts with cook/guides, or report my user days to the USFS until I know who is coming, it's a awfully hard to run a business this way. While we are not dependant on down money to cover operating expenses, I know there are outfits who are, and those guys are really in a bind.

The NR hunter who is a DIYer just got a pretty substancial tag increase, so I see little benefit there except for the tag odds are higher. However, the last two years Montana already had leftover tags from the outfitter sponsored tag that didn't sell out, and those left over tags never did sell out. Montana has a growing reputation of having a wolf problem, and while this is mainly isolated to specific areas, we all know perception is reality and reality is perception.

What I think is Montana will come close to selling all the tags this year, but fall short. With surging gas prices, a slumping economy, percieved wolf issues and increased tag fees, we are not a viable option for alot of people. As an outfitter my competitors are national, is is the market we are in. When we set prices we do so being competitive on the national market. I understand its farther to drive to Montana, and we set our rates thinking about the "total cost" of a hunt. If the total cost is comparable to say Colorado, then many folks will head our way for bigger bulls and considerably less hunting pressure.

At the end of the day I don't see how I-161 benefits anybody. Outfitted clients typically generate about 4.5x the amount of revenue for the local economy as the DIYer. Outfitting is the second largest industry in Montana, and the voters basically attacked the industry. Montana is typically near the bottom in per capita income, we cannot afford to attack any industry anymore.

Two Bear Outfitters
www.elkoutfitters.com
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

What draw in Montana has a deadline of March 15th?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

David Deer/elk for NR's.

Two Bear Outfitters
www.elkoutfitters.com
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 07:08 PM
PHA
Frequent Contributor

2Bear:

Thanks for detailed response. No doubt it is harder to book hunters when they don't know if they will draw or not. I run into that booking for one of our New Mexico hunts that is reliant on the draw. Speaking of NM, they are dealing with some major changes down there as well in Senate Bill 196 which will have a drastic effect on the number of non-residents that will be able to hunt there. Less NR tags coupled with no bonus or preference point system will make planning very difficult.

Good luck with the draw hopefully you are dealt a good hand.

Larry
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sent for my deer tag today!

.50-70 The only Government I trust.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 02:20 AM
Banned

just did my online application for Colorado Elk. Was very easy to do online. Really looking forward to my first hunting trip out west!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page