Kentucky Outfitter - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Kentucky Outfitter

Anyone familiar with any outfitters in Kentucky? We did talk to one guy at the sportsman show who seems pretty good. Kentucky Farms was their name. My Step-dad and I would like to go to Kentucky this year and were looking at some options.

Thank you.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Kentucky Outfitter

I have friends who have been there and I have hunted there twice with two different outfitters. I hunted with these guys a few years ago.

http://www.lodgehunting.com/about.phtml

They have lots of ground that was basically old strip mine areas from the 50's or 60's that is comprised of highwalls, thick areas and deer. It is intermixed with stands of mature woods. I saw numerous small bucks and one 3.5 year old that I passed on because I saw the potential for bigger animals was there. They harvested one buck around 140 with week I was there and a few smaller. I actually was going to go back last year but after checking with some references, they had a terrible ice storm in late 2009 / early 2010 that really knocked down the trees making it hard to move around. I decided not to go but they sent me some information this year of bucks harvested in 2010 and looks like they did really well. I do not think their website is updated to show all of these bucks from 2010. They have also increased their pricing since I was there a lot. I probably should have kept going back because they have so much area, it would never be overhunted. Tried another outfitter a couple of years ago and truthfully I forgot their name for good reason. Bad experience and could have seen more and bigger deer on an overhunted SGL in PA. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

http://www.premieroutfitters.com/ I never been to this place but i been looking into it. There is a good about of positive reviews for this place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Follow-up on your post question. A guy who works with me was at the sports show gave me a flyer from Kentucky Farms yesterday. Interesting concept that when you get there you look over the farm and if you don't like it, you get a full refund including deposit. Usually don't see that. Some nice bucks in the flyer but no names. I didn't see any references. Maybe there was another sheet that I did not get. I'd ask for successful and unsuccessfuly hunter's names (recent) and call . The prices are decent but that did include lodging and meals.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

No that doesn't include food or lodging but we can take some pre-cooked meals and snacks and with the corporate discounts I get from most hotels those rates shouldn't be too bad.
He did have a binder with questionaires in it, he said hunters are required to fill out the form at the end of their hunt or they won't be permitted back. Not sure I beleive that but novel concept. The form asked the basics: date of hunt, stand location, number of deer seen, deer harvested, info about the deer harvested (points, weight, est. score, etc.), if you missed a deer, if you saw any other game, and a section for open ended comments. Most everything, of course, was positive. There was only one bad one in there and from reading it, the hunters are the reason the hunt went bad not the outfitter.
I will contact the guy and ask for references, he was a nice guy and answered all the question I had. Said if I wanted to know more just call.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Good luck and hope it works out. Talk to people out of state who have hunted there....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks......I am on the Kentucky hunting forums too. Trying to find anything out from locals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page