New Mexico Elk Hunt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

New Mexico Elk Hunt

I'm looking for a NM Elk Hunt. I am considering Timberline Outfitters. Anyone have an opinion on this outfitter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: New Mexico Elk Hunt

I dont personally have any experience with that outfitter, but you should take a look at Premier Hunting Adventures. Larry has a few different NM Elk hunts listed on his site and is an HPA sponser.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 12:07 AM

Not familiar with Timberline - I have hunted several times with Bob Atwood of Blue Mountain Outfitters. Bob is president of New Mexico Guides Association. Just a heads up the National Wildlife Federation has been pushing hard supposedly on behalf of residents of New Mexico to further limit non resident tags-it has passed one hurdle and goes to the senate finance committee this Friday-if it passes and gets sent to the Senate and house for a vote the concensus is it will pass which will make it virtually impossible for non residents to draw which will only make available land owner tags all the more expensive - not a good thing as it will probably put some NM outfitters under.
All the New Meico outfitters in Harrisburg were getting non residents to sign petitions in opposition to present on Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 11:09 PM

I think they also outfit out of Wyoming. I think I saw something to that effect on NAHM.

Life Member NRA
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Part of the Community

guess it would depend on your weapon of choice. 16D is primitive weapon only, so someone to consider is GT Nunn of Frontier Outfitting....seems to have a good history.

I have heard good things of Timberline as well...

----------------
Life Member RMEF
French Creek Chapter Volunteer
Erie, Pa
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Part of the Community

I had Timberline along with Beaverhead narrowed down for NM this year but decided to burn my points in Colorado this year and try for Utah. Talked to both at the Harrisburg show and a lot of research and I will hunt with them someday. I'm strictly archery only and prefer wilderness hunts over ranch hunts. If you like wilderness look at San Fransico River Outfitters in 16B. Hunted with them 2 years ago excellant outfitter with 360 plus bulls in the area.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 05:42 PM

Sorry-I don't know anything about that outfitter. My best friend was a senior guide for Milligan Brand Outfitters for 10+yrs until he had his 1st child.

Great outfit, they are doing hunts on private leased lands in CO and NM and take some real dandys every year. Well run outfit and the owner Ray is a super guy. Lot of friends/family have done some great hunts w/ that group and I've heard all the stories and been at a few of the camps as well.

http://milliganbrand.com/index.html

I live to hunt....and hunt to live!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 01:24 AM
New Arrival

we hunted with milligan brand once had a poor guide we felt like we got ripped off big time
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have had friends and family go with Bob Atwood of Blue Mountain Outfitters and was lucky enough to draw last week for elk. I will be heading to see Bob this September with my bow.
BTW, I believe the bill passed, decreasing tags for non-residents which will really hurt the business of some good outfitters.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 01:04 AM

Walnuttree- congratulations on drawing that tag. What are your hunt dates? I will be hunting one of Bob's leases from 9/13-9/22 this year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page