EAI Outdoors....Africa lets try again - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2011, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

EAI Outdoors....Africa lets try again

Anybody ever use EAI Outdoors to book an out of country hunting trip?
South Africa, Limpopo to be more specific is where we are looking at. We are on the verge of booking and looking at Criuzers, Trophy, and EAI. We will be booking by April, I think we have all of our research done but any suggestions or experiances would be great.
Game would be impala, kudu, oryx, blesbuk, & hog.....or some combo there about if it is a combo/package hunt.
Thanks

GOD is GREAT, BEER is GOOD, & PEOPLE are CRAZY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C
Re: EAI Outdoors....Africa lets try again

I've been to the Limpopo Province twice to hunt plains game. While I have no personal knowledge of any of the three outfitters you listed, I know you will have a great time. A few things you will benefit by knowing:
1. The first time in Africa, everyone packs way too much stuff. They will do laundry every day, so all you need to pack is two changes of clothes. You can probably pack that in a carry on bag.
2. You will do a lot of walking. Make sure you have a good, comfortable, pair of boots that are well broken in. Nothing makes a hunt more miserable than blisters do.
3. Book your plane flights as far in advance as possible. I think South African Airways gives you a lot better service and treat you less like cattle.
4. Avoid flying out of New York City. I know of at least two guys who had a major hassle bringing guns back into the USA there. If you enter the country at the Atlanta or Washington airports, there is a whole lot less hassle.
5. If you would like me to give you my Word file on tipping while on safari, drop me a pm with an email address to which to send it.
6. You will want to try meat from all of the animals you take. The cook/chef you have in camp will know how to prepare it so you will love it.
7. You have a good mix of animals. You might consider adding a wildebeest (either blue or black) and one of the smaller antelopes like steenbuck or dik dik. Of course your PH will try to sell you additional animals. I call this "selling used cars." I also love the zebra pedistal mount I have from the second trip to Limpopo.

The above are what come to mind off the top of my head. Any specific questions, feel free to drop me a pm. I am sure I would think of more things to consider over time, but one last thing I would like to leave you guys with is as follows. Take the wives along. Mine had reservations about going, but on the plane on the way back from the first trip she turned to me and asked, "When can we go back?" This coming trip will be our fourth.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks PM sent

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 10:39 PM
RB
Sage

What Potter County ain't WILD enough far yA????? We got mtn lions!!

Love the sig bud, one of my favorite songs...take some of that homemade wine you brought to camp over there and I am sure they will put you on some trophy game (after they sleep it off for a day or so).

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
Old 02-16-2011, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Potter is Wild enough for me!! I had a blast in Potter and will go back anytime. As far as the wine that is to good to take there, that is only for truley special outtings!!

Old 02-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm actually booked with EAI for a South African trip this coming September. They hunt the Eastern Cape region of RSa, not the Limpopo. I booked the cheapest package they have, which includes a blesbok, springbok, impala, and warthog. I will be adding a kudu and possibly a bushbuck. I contacted several references and have been in contact with some guys who have hunted with them since I booked and I am very confident I made a wise choice. The actual safari outfitter they use is Kubusi Safaris, owned by James Williamson. Just google Kubusi Safari's and their web site should pop up. I can let you know how the trip went after the 23rd of September, as that's when I'll be getting home.

Craig

"Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline."
Old 02-21-2011, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks Craig
I am waiting fro ed to sent me the referance list. You are right they are clsoe to East London in the Eastren Cape, the 2 out outfitters we were looking at were in Limpopo. We are going July of 2012 for the same package as you and adding Kudu ala carte, so any info you can pass after your hunt would be great!
Thanks again and good luck

Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

We had no issues flying out of JFK. You lose almost 1/2 a day flying out of Dulles and the dulles flight is almost always full. I flew both ways and will never fly out of Dulles again. No matter how you fly remember the Adventure is always about the journey not the destination.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have heard from a few people about issues w/ firearms and NYC/JFK...anything special you had to do or not do? other than your customs permit

Old 02-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

Drop me a PM and I will give you a website addy where you can find answers to those types of questions.

I assume by "customs permit" you mean customs form 4457 which is not a permit but is your proof of ownership for your guns, cameras, binoculars, or any other expensive items you might be charged import tax for when bringing it home. You need this form to be filled out before you go. The Harrisburg airport customs office is used to doing this and they are very nice about it. I have one for each of my rifles, my cameras, and my binocs. If the rifle is scoped, they will include the serial number of the scope on the same form as the rifle. You need this form also in South Africa to prove that you legally own the rifle you are taking. You will also need the same form if you ever decide to go hunting in Canada.

In short, so long as you fly into JFK, there will be no problem with the Bloomberg/NYC gun mafia. If you drive, make certain not to get stopped in NYC for any sort of traffic violation or fender bender. We are flying out of Dulles on June 6. A short hop to JFK and then taking the SAA direct flight to Johannesburg. You can fly out of Dulles or go via Atlanta, but what happens is that you land in South Africa at 5:20 in the afternoon. This kills a whole day of your hunting trip because the next day will probably be the travel day. If you choose that option, you should probably fly a day earlier and plan to overnight in Johannesburg and have your outfitter pick you up the next day. This will add another unnecessary expense to your trip.

The biggest firearms hassle used to be with the police at Johannesburg airport. The last time I hunted in South Africa it took me four hours for the retarded grapes to process a form I had filled out in advance. It was totally ridiculous watching a guy laboriously copy my entire form by hand into a notebook in which he had to draw his own lines, then hand the form to a second guy who did the exact same thing. After all of this, one of them examined my rifles and I was done. Some of the people had connecting flights and missed them, but nobody at the police gun check station seemed to care.

After this, I wrote a letter to the ministry of tourism in South Africa and told them exactly what happened, including the statement made by one of their police about my guns not making it on to the flight home unless I gave them a nice tip (while standing next to a sign that said "tipping is prohibited). I was not alone. They got thousands of such letters and emails. From what I understand now, things have improved tremendously. I talked to a guy who went hunting in RSA last year and he told me it took only 20 minutes to process his rifles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in