Deerfield plantation in SC or Buffalo Creek in NC - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Deerfield plantation in SC or Buffalo Creek in NC

I'm looking at these two places for a combo deer/boar hunt. I'm looking for any input from people who have hunted there. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Deerfield plantation in SC or Buffalo Creek in NC

I hunted Deerfield Plantation for hogs a couple of years ago. I think seven of us killed five hogs. The food was good, the lodge was nice, the hunting was ok.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks deer hunter. Would you go again? How was did the deer hunting look down there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

Sorry I missed your calls yesterday, Chescohunter. I spent the week at the sports show in Harrisburg, and was only home evenings. I will be home all day today unless the W 1 FE unit changes my plans. Check your pms.

There is no southern deer hunt that is as good as the outfitter will tell you it is. I have gone on a bunch of them. My former hunting buddy always tried to go on the cheap, and it took a few years but we found out that you do get what you pay for. The cheap southern hunts are cheap for a reason. It is true, though, that some that are just starting out might be real bargains.

When you are asking questions, ask the references how many different stands and how much land they hunted on. One outfitter we hunted with told us he had over 100 stands out, but the eight guys who hunted that week rotated around eight or ten stands. We left each other notes.

Of all of the southern hunts I have been on I can recommend three as being pretty much what they said they would be. Thos would be White Oak Plantation in Alabama, McKenna Ranch in Mississippi (I don't know if they are still in business), and Deerfield. I am not including Ohio hunts in this assessment.

Since you asked about Deerfield specifically (I can't say anything about Buffalo Creek as I have never hunted there), I will address the rest of my comments there. I hunted there for the first time in late December of 1994. The season was just about over. I was mightily impressed with the number of turkeys I saw, but the deer sightings were sparse. I managed to take a seven point and did pass up a couple of does and bucks though, and decided that this place was one I should go back to. The lodging and food were excellent. I went back several times after that to hunt turkeys, and later when the hog population rose to higher levels, did a combination hunt for hogs and spring turkeys.

Loridr, who also posts on these boards, talked me into going with him in October two years ago. The photos that I am posting come from that hunt and last year's hunt. Bumblehick and JM59 who also post here were on that hunt too, and some of the photos will be of them. To make the story a bit shorter, I have taken four bucks in the last two years, three of which most hunters would not have passed up. You can shoot a deer (buck or doe) each morning and evening, but most folks do not get one every stand. Here are some photos for your enjoyment.
1. Loridr and the Mutt with an evening's production.

2. JM59 with two bucks taken on one morning stand.

3. Loridr with a really nice S. C. buck.

4. My buddy Dave with a decent hog.

5. Bumblehick and his harvest one day.

6. Finally, two of my bucks from this year.

And.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:02 PM

Nice Pics Mutt. That is something I need to get better at doing. I don't take enough time setting up a good photo shoot and the pics I get aren't the best. Sometimes I don't take pics at all.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:41 PM
RB
Sage

GOOD PICS guys...this year was the closest I ever got to going. But i only had a Sept opening to go and was told by some SC locals that i twould just be too hot to hunt and have fun. I watched the weather the week I was panning on going andsure enough it was 85 degrees.

I REALLY want to go to Deerfield some day after years of me asking you guys about it , but I need a year where Late Oct-Dec. works for me.

Where the hech has loridr been??? I have not seen him here since pre-season.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Part of the Community

I think you and your bff should go to red bluff or blackwater
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 10:45 PM
RB
Sage

Quote:
I think you and your bff should go to red bluff or blackwater
My BFF??? Is that a brand of tire...LOL

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 06:39 PM

My one hunting partner has hunted out of Buffalo Creek on TWO occassions. Once she did a Pig hunt and the following year she did a Combo Pig & Deer hunt.

Buffalo Creek operates TWO separate camps, one is around Selma, NC and the other is slightly NE of Selma. The one she has hunted out of was run by a couple (Johny & his wife). I know they have decent accomodations down there and are nice folks who run it. She's never bagged a "trophy" hog or buck, but she gets shooting there and brings a lot of meat back home. I know they also have Bob Cats there, too.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">Atlantic Flyway</span></span>
Member:
~ NRA
~ York Riflemen
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 03:23 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB -HPA Admin
Where the hech has loridr been??? I have not seen him here since pre-season.
I'm around RB, just have no reason to sit at a putter all day now that I retired.

Been spending most of the good day's ridin' my new toy:

Here's my big Deerfield buck from this year:

Also killed a run of the mine 8 point and this sow hog:

In addition to the above buck and the one George posted in this thread, here's a couple more pretty good bucks I've taken at Deerfield:

Here's a good one Bumblehick killed:

Here's a couple boar hogs I've killed:

mount of my first boar

And a couple of cats:

Female

Big male

According to my records I've taken 19 bucks and 15 does at Deerfield. I've killed 3 hogs (passed up many including a huge boar this year, had already killed a good eatin hog), and two cats (also missed one and have seen at least a dozen).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page