Maine Bear Outfitter - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
JGM
Regular Visitor

Maine Bear Outfitter

Looking for outfitter in Maine for bear hunt. Contacted Larry at PHA and he gave me PB Outfitters but have seen quite a few bad reviews. Was also referred to God's Country Guide Service and am awaiting call back. If anyone has any first hand knowledge of an outfitter in Maine, any info would be appreciate. Not sure if I will use gun or bow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 05:44 PM

Re: Maine Bear Outfitter

I'm sure you'll get several replies. But try Randy Flannery at Wilderness Escape Outfitters. He doesn't run dogs if you're looking for that. Baited hunts, end of Aug-Sept. near Danforth. Has many stands, doesn't take a lot of hunters per week. He won't guarantee you a bear but good food and accomodations and as he puts it "doesn't spare the horses" to try to put you on a bear. Been there many times, seen bears, finally took one last year with him. He's in Harrisburg at the show this week if you go. Oh yeah, has both gun and bow stands so you could pick your weapon, but I'd bring both.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

Homestead Lodge, I've been there, but not for bear, a friend of mine has been up quite a few times and killed a few bear to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 06:30 PM
PHA
Frequent Contributor

JGM:

I try to keep a close eye on outfitter reviews and would like to know where you saw quite a few bad reviews on PB? Also were the reviews for his bear hunt or deer hunt?

Thanks,

Larry
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
JGM
Regular Visitor

Larry, went on google and put his outfitter name in and the reviews came right up. Several were from Bowsite.com and had a similiar underlying tone. Overbooked camp,did not really acknowledge new hunters in camp. I had a really bad experience with a Canadian outfitter 2 years ago and am really gun shy with outfitters especially when I see comments like I saw. You actually recommended PB to me and I am just performing my own due diligence before I spend my money. Please do not take it personally.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 10:19 PM
PHA
Frequent Contributor

JGM:

No problem, I didn't take it personal. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a new review I hadn't seen.

Larry
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

Check out Pine grove Lodge. They are at the sportsman show right now.I've hunted hare there before but not bear. great people. They offer bear hunting over bait or over hounds. http://pinegrovelodge.com/
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I had also seen the reviews on PB. When I went I used blues wilderness hunts. I thought he was first class all the way. Only took 6-8 hunters a week to keep it personal. Out of the 6 he took the week I was there all saw bear and only one (me) didnt get a bear. I missed on a shot and also let a smaller one walk. Excellent hunt and I recommend him to anyone asking. He only does baited hutns not dogs.

Sab, yup thats my name...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 PM

I'v been to pb for deer and my dad killed a bear there in deer season they do over book for bear but they kill a pile of bear..

As Charles Barkley says, "I may be wrong, but I doubt it".
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehess51
Homestead Lodge, I've been there, but not for bear, a friend of mine has been up quite a few times and killed a few bear to.
I have been to a lot of places in maine and killed alot of bucks but if I went bear hunting up there it would be Homestead Lodge.

As Charles Barkley says, "I may be wrong, but I doubt it".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page