Looking for family Outfitter..... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Looking for family Outfitter.....

My wife had a great idea for our next show. Find an outfitter / hunt, where the family can come along for a long weekend - or a 5 day deal.

She would take the kids and do family activities while I went and hunted with an outfitter. I think showing how we did it, costs, outfitter setup, etc.... a lot more families might do the same deal. Win-Win Family gets to spend some time together, a fella gets some hunting in, everybody's happy.

Anyone have any outfitter ideas?

Would you be interested in watching a show like that?

I don't get on here nearly as much as I would like - but I usually check my email pretty regular: [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 08:29 PM
The Man

Re: Looking for family Outfitter.....

Fair idea but outfitters usually charge an extra $100/day per each non-hunter so I question how many folks would want to do this...Unless the family is really interested in staying at a lodge someplace where the main weekday activity would be 'going for a walk'.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sure - they would be willing to stay in a lodge, or hotel down the road.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have been thinking of a hog hunt and taking my gf along but she would not be hunting. Your idea sounds great to us.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 11:31 PM
DDX
Frequent Contributor

Alot of guys go on hunting trips to get away from the wife and kids for a while.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDX
Alot of guys go on hunting trips to get away from the wife and kids for a while.
I hear ya, that is what the further away hunts are for.....
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

My wife found a few places in NH, where you can rent a cabin not far from town. They could stay in the cabin, cook, get up whenever, while I was out hunting. Then, they could go to town for whatever.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 05:25 PM
PHA
Frequent Contributor

Chris:

I do believe that there are families interested in that kind of vacation and people that would like to watch a show like that. The problem is, many outfitters are limited by their lodging and would prefer to have hunters at full price versus guests at a reduced fee. Also a shared lodge with a group of other hunters is not the best place for a family.

An outfitter that has private cabins and activities such as boating and fishing for the family and a bear hunt for the hunter would work. Baited bear hunts are an afternoon affair so the hunter could have most of the day with the family

A spring turkey hunt in conjunction with horseback riding, fishing, and sight seeing for the family would work too. Hunt gobblers in the am and do family stuff the rest of day.

I think these type of hunts versus "all day" hunts would work better and make it more of an overall family event.

The key factors would be private lodging, good weather and enough to keep the non-hunters busy and entertained.

Larry
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

What about an Eastern Shore Maryland Cast and Blast. Hunt Sea Ducks in the AM and fish for stripers in PM. There are some other non-hunting activties in some towns there. Shopping in antique stores and galleries in Easton or the Maritime Museum in St. Michaels.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:30 PM

Why use an outfitter??Rent a cabin somewhere in a state park;you hunt/they sight-see.Alot of places out west to do this.You can buy trespass rights for the week.Florida would be another good one.Kids at Disney; you hunting gators/turkey or axis deer
If you really want to know what I like in a show, it UNGUIDED guys doing some research and going for it;not big racks.Show the average Joe how to go about putting together an unguided hunt in Wy. or Co.Not much for all these deer hunts that are unaffordable or in a fence that TV has gone to.Model something around On Your Own Adventures style;the best HUNTING show on TV

yote addiction: a pack a day

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page