Hog hunting in state or out of state recommendations - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Hog hunting in state or out of state recommendations

Looking to go on a hog hunt, not to into the preserves. What experience have you had with southern hunts, prices, hogs taken etc. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 10:59 PM

Texas. Over run with Hogs. Look at Texas Hunting Forum, Lot of good guys on there. They will guide you in the right direction. They have no problem telling you who to stay away from. Tell them luvpigmeet sent ya!
Uncle Nicky likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 08:21 AM

I've hunted in Georgia, Florida, and Texas. All good states with reputable outfitters. Going DIY is going to be tough, especially if you don't have reliable intel or time to scout. Some outfitters will offer hunts from baited stands, with night vision equipment, or with dogs; dogs offer the highest chance of success, since hogs are basically nocturnal. Prices will be all over the place, night vision hunting will probably cost the most, but on average you should be able to find an outfitter around $300-$400/day if you shop around. Send me a PM if you have specific questions.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 08:30 AM
Part of the Community

A hog hunt is definitely something I want to try. I was considering going to Georgia in the Spring. A guided hunted hunt is probably the path I'm going since I've never done it and don't know the area.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 01:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Loshbough in TN

Took my kids down this spring. Now, it is a pen, but it is a really big pen. We put 8.1 miles on the first afternoon IAW a GPS.

The eyes are blurred as a joke on a different forum, the pigs identities are protected also

The hunt price is a little more, but it costs the same or a bit less overall than to do a TX or OK hunt because of extra meals and lodging you need for travel. I was planning of doing a OK hunt, but I couldnt get a slot in the period I had off. So I started to look elsewhere. I rented a minivan and took a buddy so there were 4 of us. My buddy got the first which was a russian at about 9A day one. They for kicks we tried the dogs, which is a sprint stalk. You chase after the bay, then stalk the last 70 yards, then the pigs break, and you do it again, thus the 8.1 miles. The pigs bayed up one and the daughter took it. The son and I doubled the next morning taking ours at the same time. We went in June just after the son was out of school, and we had the lodge to ourselves. Downside it was warm. We were hunting in 90F by 10A.

Bring coolers. They will cut and wrap there. Get roasts, mild and hot sausage, and chops. I am not thrilled by the ham steaks so I would say get them as sausage or roasts.

Leave the partitions at home. 8 out of 9 out of 30-06's did not expand enough to stop the pig. I loaded them for my family, and wont use them again on anything. The story is on here somewhere. My buddies 06 with gamekings dropped his in one shot. I would say a slow heavy bullet in a open sight rifle or a 2X scope would be perfect. If I go again, I am taking the 32Spl.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

Last edited by gentleben; 03-24-2017 at 09:28 PM. Reason: per the new rules, no links are permitted
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 09:44 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I've gone with Gary Frye in Georgia. His place is happyacresexpeditions.com He does primitive only. Bow or crossbow but I've never met a harder working guide. I've gone quite a few times with Gary have no reason to go anywhere else. I've even gone Gator with him...taken my daughter too.

Tell him Sab said hey if you talk to him

Sab, yup thats my name...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 07:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/20-g...wine-down.html

Link to the original post

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 01:18 AM
New Arrival

I will second the recommendation for Loshbough in Tennessee. We booked a hunt for my son for his spring break from the U.S. Coast Guard Academy since he wasn't able to be home for any PA hunting seasons. Since the hunt took place in March the weather was great for hunting, cool but not too cold, and like Varmintmist we had the place to ourselves. I'll also confirm that while it's fenced private property it's a BIG chunk of land! We hunted from a blind, did a spot & stalk with guides, and then went out with the dogs which is when my son got the boar shown in the photo. I'll also recommend bringing coolers and having them cut & wrap the meat which is fantastic! It's a great experience and we'd like to make another trip back there sometime in the future. The staff and our guide were great, the lodgings were comfortable, and the hunting experience was excellent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120306 Ben Boar - 1.jpg (1.61 MB, 21 views)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 05:10 PM
New Arrival

Texas Hog Hunting

Guaranteed stand and feeder hunts with in North Texas 30 minutes from DFW airport. We have set ups for both bow or rifle. Price is $400/person for two day hunt. If you do not fire a shot you can come out and hunt again until you do. We have access to over 20,000 acres of crop fields and bottom lands, and they are loaded with pigs. Lodging and meal available at an additional fee.

Also offer Thermal hog hunts $300/gun with a minimum of two hunters. Spot and stalk hunts with Thermal scopes mounting on AR-10 and AR-15. Guns, Guide, Scopes and Ammunition included. Hunts typically last 6-8 hours. No limits and no kill fees.
- Guided Duck, Dove and Pig Hunts near DFW[/url] or give me a call 214-641-8097 for additional questions and available dates.

Last edited by gentleben; 03-24-2017 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Link removed. No links permitted unless paid for
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 07:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

My Dad has helped me a TON on the cabin and I'm thinking about taking him on a hog hunt! Not only a small token of my appreciation but some more quality time. Anyone have some up to date info or intel on outfitters? Would like to stay as close to PA as possible so we don't burn days traveling.

Are we at camp yet?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page