Looking for Western Elk Hunt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Looking for Western Elk Hunt

My buddy and I were looking at going west for an elk hunt.

What are you experiences good and bad with areas and guides?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Looking for Western Elk Hunt

Check out Big M Outfitters, Philipsburg MT.

Can't go to work, got the Tub Runs
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

undertaker - seems reasonably priced, have you used them before? My biggest fear is that I wont get a real hunt. I worry about the ability "return to the lodge for lunch".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Part of the Community

This is the only outfitter we have been to out west. We have no reason to go anywhere else, have always been in Elk, our faults that we didnt always bring one home. Started going there in 2001 & have averaged every other year since, rifle & archery. Bob runs his outfit like others with breakfast & dinner in house, lunch in the field in a sack, but I'm sure they would accomidate you any way they could. The problem with Montana is the price for non residents. Should you contact them, please let him know I reccomended you to call. Any other concerns, please let me know. Good luck.

Can't go to work, got the Tub Runs
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

hi outlaw.i suggest you pick a state without a wolf problem,i.e.idaho,montana,wyoming.i speak from experiance.hunted idaho 4 yrs.ago we heard and saw wolves,which was pretty cool,but no elk.when wolves are in the area, the elk get out of dodge.thats not to say you could'nt have a succesful hunt in one of these states,but why run that risk.there is a considerable investment on the line,so i would eliminate the wolf factor imo.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

X2
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 10:52 PM

cant go wrong with CO.
great numbers of elk and land to hunt them.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootshoot
hi outlaw.i suggest you pick a state without a wolf problem,i.e.idaho,montana,wyoming.i speak from experiance.hunted idaho 4 yrs.ago we heard and saw wolves,which was pretty cool,but no elk.when wolves are in the area, the elk get out of dodge.thats not to say you could'nt have a succesful hunt in one of these states,but why run that risk.there is a considerable investment on the line,so i would eliminate the wolf factor imo.
Some areas are hit hard, others are not. We have plenty of areas in Montana that have elk and wolf side by side. We have wolves in my area, but that did not stop us from taking bulls, or any less bulls than we took 10 years ago. I have bugled bulls while the wolves where howling around us. I am not a fan of the wolf, but to write off an entire state do to a percieved wolf problem is a little drastic. The fact is Montana has fairly low hunting pressure, and far better quality bulls than Colorado. Montana is also over-objective with elk populations in several areas.

Two Bear Outfitters
www.elkoutfitters.com
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 12:22 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

two bear,we hunted the sellway/bitteroots in idaho.very beatifull,rugged country.it was the opinion of our guides that the wolf had pushed the elk out of our area, or at least kept them from bueggeling.i checked out your web site,and it seems like your a top notch outfitter.i'm just saying that if i ever get to do another elk trip, i would try to eliminate that facfor next time
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 01:42 AM
Part of the Community

Yes, the Selway is one of the tough beat up areas no doubt. I heard tonight though, that one of the outfitters over there had a decent season. I work extensively with my guides on our calling procedure. Every year we call in bulls that others would not. The best thing when booking archery elk, is to make sure the outfitter is serious about calling elk. THe other thing is to check references of guys who were there last season. I agree with you, the Selway is getting a little hammered, but I still think good quality guides can find and call in elk over there. The Selway is also pretty rough country, mostly up and down Thank You for the compliment, we believe in giving clients theirs money's worth, pretty old fashioned now days.

Two Bear Outfitters
www.elkoutfitters.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page