Colorado Elk Hunt Outfitter recommendation - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Colorado Elk Hunt Outfitter recommendation

My two sons’ and I hunted in Area 61 in Colorado near Nucla, Colorado during the first Elk season. This was a trophy hunt that we had applied for 18 years and finally drew. We hired the Garvey Brothers Outfitters owned and run by Stan Garvey.

The accommodations were outstanding and we got to be the first to use the new sleeper cabin they built this year. The food was absolutely fantastic and if you went to bed hungry it was your own fault. The food was really good and they fed you until you couldn’t eat anymore.

The guides were great and really knew the area and they worked really hard to get you on quality animals. They would also give you a guess of what the rack size was before you took the shot. So if you had a goal and the Elk was less then that then you could choose to pass and wait for a better bull.

Well things for us turned out fantastic even after passing on some nice bulls the first two days of the season. On the third day all 3 of us were out with different guides and we all scored the bulls of our dreams that made to long wait for tags all worth it.

Once shot the guides take over, and gut the animal after the picture taking is done and then they quarter the animal and cape the skull. Then they go get pack animals and pack the animal out for you. They also have a relationship with the local meat processer so we got our Elk right in and they were processed and ready for the trip home by noon the next day.

I highly recommend Garvey Brothers Outfitters for either an Elk or Mule deer hunt in Colorado’s Bug Game area 61.

My Bull

My Son's Bulls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Colorado Elk Hunt Outfitter recommendation

Congrats to you and your sons......

Bradford County WMU3C
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 03:40 AM
The Man

Those are some really great bulls, congrats!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

Hi Art,

Congratulations to you and your sons!

I sent you a pm. Thanks for your time.

BobB

BobB
WMU2F
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

Congratulations on a great hunt. I hunted with Stan Garvey in 1999. It was a class operation back then. Their only drawback is that they hunt in a limited draw area. It is worth doing the preference point thing because they have so many great bull elk and mule deer bucks.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttleysgone
Congratulations on a great hunt. I hunted with Stan Garvey in 1999. It was a class operation back then. Their only drawback is that they hunt in a limited draw area. It is worth doing the preference point thing because they have so many great bull elk and mule deer bucks.
That's the only draw back to that area as I'm 65 and won't live long enough or still be hunting when I would get enough preference points to go it again. The only other option is buying a very expensive land owner tag for about 6K.

Stan Garvey's operation is still first class and they will put you on great bulls or Bucks depending on what you are hunting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page