Best hunts for under $3000? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Best hunts for under $3000?

Opinions? Trying to plan something for 2010. Open to basically any sort of big game hunting in North America. Guided or unguided does not matter. Outfitters and experiences welcomed. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 04:12 PM

Re: Best hunts for under $3000?

Are you talking about $3000 for the outfitters costs or total costs for the whole trip (licenses, travel expenses, butchering costs)?

You can DIY Elk hunt almost anywhere out west for under $3000 but most DIY hunts you'll usually end up eating your tag unless you're very lucky.
You can get a pack in wilderness hunt unguided for a reasonable price. The guide basically packs you in and out and you hunt on your own.

If you want better odds you can hunt antelope in WY or mulies in several states.

Licenses can run you from $300-750 for most deer or deer/elk. If you fly out you can count on $300-400 plus the cost of a rental. Other costs once you get out west are-food, gas butcher fees, shipping/transporting meat if you're flying.
In other words the total can really add up once you get all of the small things added in.

Born to hunt, forced to work!
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I meant $3000 more as a ball park figure. I am really just asking what hunts other people have done in the past that they considered a good "value". I realize $3000 is not a lot when it comes to hunting trips but I know you can do some for that price or less and I was just looking for some feedback from others with experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Part of the Community

Alaska black bear by boat. Prince William Sound. Bears, halibut, fresh dungies, shrimp, salmon, while seeing orcas, humpback whales... If you do it in late september, you can add sitka blacktail to that.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 07:09 PM
New Arrival

We offer a bear hunt over bait in Sept. for $1495.00. The license is around $160.00. That is a far cry from $3000.00. We bait an entire township and so we can control the bear we take out of there. We kill around 80% that way. Our first week for the 2010 season is already filled and we are booking the second week to fill the 10 we want there. Then we are done for the season. Moose is a 100% hunt however you need to get drawn first. I get calls all the time for moose but I will not book a moose hunt until June, when the person knows they are hunting. Deer, is another story. We have some real good bucks here but it takes a dedicated hunter to get them. After being in PA and VA and MD for a week or so I can see why people get discouraged hunting deer here. The best time to hunt here is in the snow. Problem with that is our snow comes when you fellows are hunting in PA. If we can answer any more questions just click on the banner at the top of the bear hunting page.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 10:26 PM

Went on allot of hunts and never spent over $2200. Really can't afford to go any higher. Mostly all deer hunts.

Buy American=Create Jobs
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 12:37 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm with you on that... Ive been on antelope in Wy Hogs in Ga Bear in Maine, Deer in Bama, Ducks/goose in Md and NY and quite a few others. This year was the year to wheel and deal since the outfitters and guides were willing to come down a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodswise
Went on allot of hunts and never spent over $2200. Really can't afford to go any higher. Mostly all deer hunts.

Sab, yup thats my name...
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 03:23 AM
Frequent Contributor

I just got back from Colorado elk hunting.. i spent less then $3000 for that trip. There are alot of hunts out there for that price range.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 03:37 AM
The Man

I think bear in Maine is a great value. Do your homework and you will be very satisfied.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 10:20 PM

A few years ago I won a 10 day elk & mule deer hunt on E-bay for $2500 on horseback in Montana. All toll, I spent around $5000 with airfare, (@$400rt), Outfitters License ($900) @$100 shared with two others for a motel for the day before & after the hunt. I shot a 5 x 5 elk & it cost something like $150 for the butcher & for every box of meat that was taken on the airplane was $75.

Now, I did do a DIY hunt for antelope in Wyoming for about $1000. We drove out from Philly on my suburban & stayed in a motel and hunted mostly BML land. We also hunted a few ranches for free or for a small trophy fee of $50 if you shot one. Some ranches right next door that we hunted wanted $500 for a week access.

Life Member NRA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page