Africa questions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Africa questions

Hey guys couple of questions about going to Africa, besides a passport what else would you need to get ot take with you in the way of other documents or shots?

.50-70 The only Government I trust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C
Re: Africa questions

You will need your up to date passport. I would also take along one other photo ID. A credit card or two is also a good idea.

As to vaccinations, a good place to start would be your family doctor, or if you have a branch of Occupational Health Services close to where you live, they do this sort of thing all the time. You should start on vaccinations about six to eight months before you plan to leave for Africa if I remember correctly, since one of the vaccinations required a booster. I think we updated our tetanus and polio, got shots for hepatitus, cholera, and a few other things.
Check with your outfitter to see if malaria will be a problem in the area in which you will be hunting. There are several malaria prophylactics available. If so, your doctor will prescribe a preventive to take with you. We took larium. It does give some people hallucinogenic dreams, and I kinda enjoyed them.

I would also suggest that you check with your health insurance provider and see how extensive your coverage is when in Africa. Hopefully you will not need it, but we also took out a trip insurance policy to cover medical evacuation and/or hospitalization. This could be important if you are hunting dangerous game for sure.

My W 1 FE unit and I have been to Africa three times, so if you have any other questions, feel free to drop me a pm.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 10:48 PM
The Man

Been to Africa 5 times. I would advise relying on your outfitter to comply with the regulations where you're going. They seem to be different all over. I would also contact the health department as to what kind of vaccinations they recommend for where you are going. Passport, etc. Ihave never taken anything for malaria and haven't had a problem. I would recommend updating your tetanus shot. Seems everything over there can jab you and you're not typically close to a medical center. Don't forget to let your credit card company know that you're going so they don't flag your card and lock it on you.
Do you already have a PH? The one I hunt with is coming to stay with me for two weeks to do some shows. They get here Feb 11th. I don't live all that far from you if you'd be interested in meeting them. Just throwing that out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Africa is a big continent with over 50 countries so there can be quite a lot of differences. The PH will provide you with the specifics for your country but there are some other very good resources. Most or all are at least going to require a visa.

This site gives good generalities and the most recent state department advice. Some countries in Africa are not stable and their situation can change in just a few days.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/travel_1744.html

This site will provide the "required" innoculations and your PH may also suggest some optional.
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/

This site is for registering with the State Dept., it will give you automatic email updates of any events or changes with your country and you can also register your personal trip. If there is an emergency situation while you're there they will attempt to contact you and it provides emergency contact info if something happens to you while you're there
https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/ui/index.aspx

Some of the hunts are pretty up-scale with comfortable lodges and some are old-world style tented safari hunts. They are extremely remote, dirt airstrip access only. Good idea to have some extra medical insurance should an extraction be required. I reccommend Global Rescue. Some others like Medjet only provide transport after you arrive at a local medical facility. Global Rescue will send whatever type of extraction team (including security forces) is required to get you directly from the field to a medical facility and then if necessary on a medically staffed private jet back to the US. If you paid for all this it would cost several hundred thousand dollars. I think their rates are really low for short term trip coverage.
https://www.globalrescue.com/

Beforehand decide on your customs broker to get your trophies home, I always send them back dipped and packed (dried and salted) but some have them mounted there. Decide what is best for you before you leave home. Be prepared for the shipping and import brokerage fees, expect a minimum of way over a $1000, if it's a lot of animals or something big, it could be a few thousand.

Checkout these people for travel arrangements, they specialize in African hunting travel and have discount block seats with the airlines.
http://www.gracytravel.com/

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 01:08 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundragriz
Be prepared for the shipping and import brokerage fees, expect a minimum of way over a $1000, if it's a lot of animals or something big, it could be a few thousand.
From my safari last July I am only bringing 4 animal home -a blesbuck for a full body mount, an eland for a shoulder mount, a kudu shoulder mount and a gemsbuck shoulder mount and I am right around $1500 this time.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttleysgone
It does give some people hallucinogenic dreams, and I kinda enjoyed them.
LoL!!

Home: 4D & 4B. Camp: 2G & Kentucky

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page