Info on Patey and Sons Outfitting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Info on Patey and Sons Outfitting

I'm looking to book a Newfoundland moose and/or caribou hunt for 2018 or 2019. Patey and Sons Outfitting in River of Ponds is a name that keeps coming up as I ask around.

Has anyone hunted with them? How are the accommodations and hunting?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 12:34 PM
The Man

Re: Info on Patey and Sons Outfitting

Mike,

Don't know if this helps, but it's a start.

Like I said in my post, Patey & Sons flew us in for our hunt, so, after talking with a few of his hunters, both before and after the hunt, and checking out his web site after I got home, I did get a little insight into his operation.

He evidently has 11 camps spread out over the northern peninsula, that include a variety of terrain, remoteness and difficulty of hunt. He has his own planes as well as a chopper, the later of which I understand is used to pull meat out of the field.

On the ferry crossing on our way home, we talked to fellows from three different groups that had hunted three different Patey camps the same week we had hunted... two had gone 50%, one 100%. In fact the fellow that had hunted the 100% camp said the guides told him they were 15 for 15 on the season.

Dave has talked to them (Patey & Sons) several time at the show, and had a good impression, as did Kudu58 (we have communicated about this).
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 12:44 PM
The Man

The next time I go to Nfld, it will very likely be with Patey and Sons. I've spoken to Eric Patey a number of times at the shows. Struck me as an honest individual. Gave me consistent answers over a number of years as well as accurate answers that I already knew the answer to. I'm in the process of calling some of his references right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 01:03 PM
The Man

Kudu,

Please keep us posted on what you find out. As per our conversations, very interested. When Dave gets home and we can get together with Sheldon, I'll be sure to pass that along as well, keeping Mike in the loop. Seems Sixgun is also interested.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys, much appreciated! If I learn anything else, I will post for you. I have some other "feelers" out too.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 10:43 PM

This is an old thread...but I hunted with them in 2005. The moose in my avatar is the one I got. Three of us went. We all got moose. Their moose were small racked with no palmation.
The guides work very hard to get you on moose. Prepare to do lots of walking. Walking is difficult there. If you are interested, I can talk to you over the phone sometime if you have specific questions. I realize I hunted 12 years ago and things may have changed since then.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 09:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

NL moose

A friend and his son hunted with them this year had lots of problems. They did shot small moose. The area was over hunted. No trophy bulls. The one son hit one. The guide would not trail it even thou there was blood. If a Argo canít get to it they will not go after it. Thereís better outfitters
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 10:15 AM

I went with Patey and Sons back in 2005 (see the moose in my avatar) We hunted 6he 1st week of October and we were the last group in that camp for the season, so keep in mind, those moose had been picked over pretty good before we got there. There were 3 of us that went. All of us tagged out. I have to say we had a great time. I will be the first to admit that the moose there aren't usually nice in the rack department. My 2 buddy's moose were small, no palmation in the antlers. I tagged the first day, while one buddy tagged the following day. The last moose was taken the 4th day. You will walk many miles, just be warned. I feel the guides did their best to get us on moose.

I realize my hunt was many years ago and things may have changed, but I rate Patey and Sons top notch from my experience.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 10:24 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have relatives in NF so I have a place to stay. Wonder if a cow tag and hunt is cheaper? I'll have to give them a call.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 10:55 AM

I donít believe there are cow only tags. I hunted there every year from 2006-2015. Tags are either bull/calf or bull/cow. Non resident tags are only bought by through outfitters. Big game can only be hunted by non residents with an outfitter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page