BE VERY CAREFUL!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

BE VERY CAREFUL!!

Was emailing an Outfitter from Ontario in regards to a Bear Hunt for my Daughter next year. After some research I found out she would have to be 16 to Hunt there. The Guide called me tonight and I mentioned it would not work next due to her being under 16. He said to come up. I would carry the Gun and she would be carrying the camera. What happens in the Bush stays in the Bush and for her not to brag on Facebook. I about fell over. I told him not interested and thanks for the call. Now he sent me an email explaining it again. Said he was talking to a Retired CO. Had to threaten him to stop. Please, be careful with out of state hunts. Don't trust the guides, do your own research. This could've ended bad for us if I didn't check things out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 08:43 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: BE VERY CAREFUL!!

Take her to Quebec, 12 yrs. old there. Taking my grandsons next spring.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 11:13 AM
The Man

This is a very good post. In the process of booking hunts in the past, I have had outfitters suggest things to me that I knew were illegal or questionable at best.
To me that is an instant red flag. If they are willing to break the law with someone they don't even know, then they are likely to operate that way in other areas of their lives as well.
Going to other states or countries and knowingly breaking the law, or knowingly breaking the law anywhere is a pretty bad practice.
Outfitters like that are very good ones to avoid. There are way too many honest and hard working, legitimate outfitters out there to be dealing with folks like what the OP described.
If what they are suggesting is bad enough, they can be reported to Outfitter Associations that most states and Canadian Provinces have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 11:51 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I knew 3 guys that booked a bear hunt with a guy they met on a fishing trip in Ontario. Without checking references they booked a trip and sent the guy deposits and firmed up a date. On a certain date they were to meet this guy at some motel and he was going to have them follow him back to camp. Well the guy never showed and they were out some cash. They reported it to the Ontario Provincial Police but never got the guy or their money back.
There are a lot of good guys out there just be sure to check some references also.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 03:08 PM
Part of the Community

I never book with anyone that does not have their own lodge or a store. If they take your money and don't follow through you can track them down.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 11:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

I check references prior to even thinking booking. We called references on two different Newfie moose outfitters before deciding on one. I also try to find reference that are not listed on their brochure. I think those folks are the one that will give you a "truer" picture of the hunt.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 08:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Use Larry {Premier Hunting Adventures} and you'll be set. He also takes payment from the outfitter not you. We just used him on an elk hunt, and it was tremendous!

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 09:51 PM
The Man

Using Larry from PHA is good advice. I have heard nothing but good from people who have used him.

When I get one more Wyoming preference point I am planning on giving him a contact as well.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 10:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Kudu it took my group 5 points for our Wyoming trip thru Larry. I have been on a dozen guided hunts, and this was the best! Four guys going 4 for 4 on 320 or better bulls!

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:14 PM
The Man

I have 5 points right now. I need to pick up one more week vacation at work next year before I can go. I wouldn't mind some info on your trip though. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page