Hog and Hog/Deer Combo hunt suggestions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Hog and Hog/Deer Combo hunt suggestions

My son is a junior in high school and I have decided to take him on a hunt as a graduation present (after he walks across that stage but before he goes off the college). He wants to do a hog or hog/deer combo. Been looking online and talking to a few people here and there for a little while. Found a couple places mostly in South Carolina (not locked into there though). Definitely don't want anywhere with fences. Stands, spot/stalk or hounds all an option. Probably rifle or pistol but archery is also a possibility. Two that have caught my eye are South Carolina Trophy Hunters and Cherokee Run. Haven't contacted them yet, and unfortunately my schedule didn't allow a trip the outdoor show. Wanted to see if anyone has any input on these places or suggestions on any other places. This will be the first hunt I've ever booked and the first time either of us have ever hunted outside PA (hopefully not the last though). It's going to be a father/son trip, with talks of mom/daughter possibly joining but not hunting. Obviously would love to come home with meat and trophies but MORE importantly a good experience. I know there's a risk with anything but want to do my best to not be a guy who has one of those nightmare stories about a hunt he went on, like we've probably all heard.

Thanks in advance for any input you have!

Get 'em down and keep 'em down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 05:26 PM
The Man

Re: Hog and Hog/Deer Combo hunt suggestions

If you decide you want a combo, there's is no better place than Deerfield Plantation. Especially if you're bring the wife and daughter... reserve the cabin and have it all to yourselves. Just look at the recent post in this forum "deerfield plantation" for all of the info you need.

If you decide on just a hog hunt, Deerfield is excellent for winter hogs, but there are other areas in SC that may have a more consistent population of hogs.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for the info loridr. I had looked into Deerfield as well. Found a lot of info on them and aren't counting them out. Looks like a great place especially for deer and accommodations but with homework I have done on them so far I was getting kind of the same impression with regards to hogs. Could be really good but there might be better in regards to numbers. My son is looking more for the hog experience than deer since he has done pretty well in pa with deer but we figured if we could get the best of both worlds why not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 09:15 PM

I think my buddies went to Cherokee run for hogs a few years ago and out of 13 hunters not one person saw a hog. The owner also promised the group a roasted pig for dinner one night and that never happened. A couple of my buddies left early fter being disappointed.

The following week of that hunt another group of 12 hunters went there that were associated with the first group and they got skunked.

My buddy told me a story that one day when he was fishing their pond the owner came by and asked him how he was doing. My buddy said "it was just like he pig hunt, there is no fish in the pond" This guy is a ball breaker

Life Member NRA
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 10:10 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Hi, I can tell you from experience that if you really want to get a hog in SC, the best way is to find an outfitter that will allow you to night hunt. Night hunting is open from now until July I believe and it is tough but is really your best chance. Hogs have gone nocturnal and really any outfitter down there will tell you it is extremely rare to get hogs during daylight hours especially in the morning. My son worked as a full time guide for 8 yrs down there and only once or twice a year would someone get a hog on a morning hunt.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

thanks for the info guys its really appreciated.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 01:12 AM
Frequent Contributor

Did you look into GA at all? I go every year but I do everything on my own, I found a cabin to rent and I went door to door at farms to get land to hunt. I know have access to thousands of acres for free. The population of hogs is greater in ga than sc. Also lots of places that do deer hunts don't want hogs on their land, they destroy feeders and ruin food plots so u kill in a hog there is a service to them. There is no closed season on hogs in ga and a non res 3 day is $30. I do use a nv on my ar but have killed with just a red light and even some at sunset. Cooler weather is better for hogs. Pm me n I can send u pics and I could even try and make some calls for ya. If you want a good hog outfitter there Jager pro is a good 1 for night time thermal hunts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 02:31 AM

red bluff lodge has hogs, deer and gators.

my son shot a 10 foot gator at night with his bow. trying to get back this year for hogs and deer. they also do night time hog hunts and depending on the time of year you can use the outfitter supplied AR's with thermal vision and silencers.

if that doesnt work, i think i will take loridrs advice and try deerfield

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks mattg1500 and bohunr. Just looked both places up and they sound pretty good.

mattg1500 thanks for the offer to make calls for us to help us do it on our own but I think for the first one we are going to use an outfitter. Might try it on our own after that though. Definitly like what Jager Pro has on their website and will probably be contacting them.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 08:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

Good luck in whichever u choose!!!! I personally would give up deer hunting to hunt hogs any day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page