Planning first Bear over Bait Hunt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Planning first Bear over Bait Hunt

Looking for some opinions.
What is the better time to hunt Spring or Fall ?
And where would you go. Researching New Brunswick Manitoba Newfoundland and Maine. I've looked through the recommendations in previous posts. and have a partial list of outfitters that I'm considering. Any input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 03:14 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Planning first Bear over Bait Hunt

No matter who you pick choose an outfitter that pre baits the site. And baits the site for you. A few friends had horrible luck on hunts where they were handed a 5 gallon bucket with bait and a map and drove themselves to the stand. I'd ask how many hunters they have in camp, that could be an indication of a meat market type of outfitter. Roughly 10 hunters in camp is a good number. If you get a lot more they are probably just trying to make as much money as possible and not to concerned with your experience.

The outfitter we went with started the baits the maximum amount of days before the season started legally allowed. Then when we picked stands by pulling names from a hat so they didn't show favoritism to a returning client. They would walk us to the stand. We would then be picked up after shooting light was over.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 03:30 PM
The Man

Things to consider:

Spring or fall? I don't think it makes much difference as far as seeing bears, that depends more on the weather and luck than anything else. But, any bear you kill in the fall will weigh more than that same bear would have in the spring. I've done both and I'd say I like fall better, but since I'm booked for this spring in New Brunswick I guess i Like both.

If you want the best pelt, go early in the spring. Be careful not to go TOO early as they may still be denned up, mid to later May is good.

If you want the best chance of a good scoring boar, go later in the spring when they are in rut and the big boys are cruising for sows.

If you want a chance for a color phase bear, you'll have go to Manitoba and west of there where they are common, they are very rare in the east.

Unless you really have a bug to go to Newfoundland, it's a long ways and expensive to get there. I'm going there this fall but we're going for moose. I wouldn't go to all that expense and trouble for a bear I could kill in Maine, NB, Quebec or Ontario for half the price and way less travel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 12:02 AM

Stony Brook Outfitters. He does Spring in New Brunswick and Fall in Maine. Straight up kind of Guy. No [censored] or Lies. PM me and I will fill you in.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 12:03 AM

sorry, didn't realize two letters were bad. Thanks
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 04:22 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Turnpike Ridge Outfitters in Maine for a fall hunt. Incredible bear outfitter run by one of the best Don Helstrom. Here's a few I've taken with Don. Good luck in your search.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 09:55 AM

I'd head to Ontario or Quebec. Fish all morning, and bear hunt in the late afternoon.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 08:11 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

try W.T Outfitters in Danford lake Quebec. 9hr drive from central PA. Lot of bear and chance to get a big one. Started going with them in 2006 and have been going several times a year since. Good hunting and lots of fun.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the info guys
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 12:00 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

You do it once you'll be hooked! It's not like people think. it's a great time to be in the woods when everything is turning green and coming alive, just make sure you take a thermocell(2 would be better) and scent spray. their noses are unbelievable! Everything I have read they claim their nose is 7-10 times better than a bloodhound.And regardless of what is said they can see and their hearing is excellent! Enjoy and good luck! Wherever you go good luck! Get a big one!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page