Deer Hunting in New England - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Deer Hunting in New England

I've been thinking of eventually taking a DIY deer hunting trip to the Northeast somewhere. I was thinking either northern New Hampshire or Maine. Anyone have any advice, public lands to check out, etc?

Im a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 10:21 PM

Re: Deer Hunting in New England

I have been to Northern Maine twice in the last three years hunting snowshoe hare. The first time we saw two deer in a week and the last time we only seen one set of tracks in a week. I wouldn't recommend going there for whitetail. Moose yes.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 04:01 AM
Frequent Contributor

Maine there are not many deer but if you get lucky and see one it is usually huge.

Pennsylvania State University
Forest Ecosystems Management 2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntPhilipsburg
Maine there are not many deer but if you get lucky and see one it is usually huge.
That might be true. I know the locals said that a couple of years ago the snow was extremely bad and killed alot of the population. I guess the snow was deep and the deer could not stay on top of it, but the coyotes could.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 01:03 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntPhilipsburg
That might be true. I know the locals said that a couple of years ago the snow was extremely bad and killed alot of the population. I guess the snow was deep and the deer could not stay on top of it, but the coyotes could.
I heard that to cspot. My cousin goes up with some family friends every year and our one family friend got a huge bodied 8 point and the neighboring camp got a 14 point who was also friends with these guys. They also see moose while up there every year. First week my cousin and friends go ot one camp and second week they go to a different camp. My cousin only saw does and only had a buck tag.

Pennsylvania State University
Forest Ecosystems Management 2017
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Part of the Community

The deer hunting in Maine is frustrating..trust me that when i say it..I wouldn't hunt Northern Maine. Central southern or western Maine are fairly good..I'd only go to Maine to hunt moose or bear..
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

Used to go there for Bigwoods bucks, but we have them in Pa now, plus the herd is at real low level in Northern Maine and it was tough before, but there are some real brutes roaming the timber cuts and swamps though.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Banned

I love deer hunting the north woods. There are huge deer up there. I never see them deer hunting but I have while moose hunting. I hunt VT but any of those states have big deer. My buddy shoots eye poppers every year in CT. Northern New Hampshire has a good amount of timber company land in the north and it has Nash Stream state forest. I'd like to hunt there this year myself. The great part about NH is you don't have to drive as far as Maine.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Banned

BTW, it's only frustrating if you feel you have to fill your tag. I don't feel that way and I have a great time up there. I just like to know I'm in the vicinity of 300# bucks.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Frequent Contributor

I went to Maine in November 2007 and hunted with Oxbow Lodge. I had to cut my trip short due to a family emergency but they offered to let me come back the next year at no extra charge. I didn't get a deer while there but it was a great wilderness hunting experience. The lodge, guide, food, and accomodations were all super. I'd love to go back some day. I hunt for the experience and enjoyment of it. They told me from the start there aren't lots of deer but if I connect it will be huge so I knew my chances were slim but I appreciated the honesty. I highly recommend Oxbow Lodge.

Winchester M70 XTR Featherweight .30-06
Marlin 336CS .30-30
Beretta A300 Outlander 12 ga.
Mossberg International Silver Reserve II 12 ga.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page