Bear Outfitters - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Bear Outfitters

It is UNREAL the number of bear outfitters in Canada! How in the world do you pick one out of all of them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Sage

Re: Bear Outfitters

Cruise the web, ask people for recommendations, visit a lot of sportsman shows and talk to countless guides. Ten spend the time to verify the claims and past success.

Or, use a service for the specific area you are interested in using for a specific animal - or combination of animals.

Click on the Premier hunting Adventures banner at the top of any page in this forum. Check out the hunts available. Not exactly right for you - contact Larry. Let him see what he can find for you.

The service is free, and there are a lot of pre-approved guides and outfitters to consider. He takes the leg work out of the pre-hunt for you - and his services are free to you!

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused
It is UNREAL the number of bear outfitters in Canada! How in the world do you pick one out of all of them!
What kind of bear hunt do you want to go on? For example, would you rather do a spot and stalk hunt or do you have no problem hunting from a stand at a baited site? Do you prefer to drive to the hunt or would you be willing to fly? Do you like to hunt with a bow or would either a rifle hunt or bow hunt be more to your liking?
Would you be satisfied with seeing only a few bears or would you like to hunt in an area where twenty or more sightings in a week are possible? What is your price range? Do you want a color phase bear or doesn't that matter.

As to the first question, British Columbia is spot and stalk only. From Alberta eastward to New Brunswick, baited hunts are the norm.

If you want to drive to the hunt, you would be limited to those provinces within driving distance. You would probably want to fly to Saskatchewan, Alberta, or British Columbia.

Baited hunts are probably the best for bow hunting.

You will see the most bears in places like British Columbia. I saw over forty on one hunt, but less than a dozen on another. For a hunt over bait in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, or Alberta, seeing a dozen bears in a week is decent (you might see more).

The most color phase bears are in the western provinces, but you should be sure to ask the outfitter what percentage of his bears are color phases other than black.

Price varies. I spent $600 on one bear hunt back in 1994. I didn't see a bear. I have spent well over $3,000 on hunts where I took two bears, or could have if I wanted to. There are decent bear hunts from $6,000 down for a week. In general, you get what you pay for.

The coondawg's advice is good. A booking agent like Larry Holjencin costs you nothing and you get his expertise in checking out hunts. Any other questions, feel free to ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

Oh, I should add one more thing. Don't hesitate to ask questions on this message board. There is a wealth of experience here free for the asking. If you have a specific outfitter in mind, chances are someone who posts here has been on that hunt.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 06:19 AM
New Arrival

send a message to beadoo for a ontario bear hunt, you can go into facebook to check out kenogami outfitters
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for the advice!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Regular Visitor

The only thing about baited hunts for bowhunters is that this eliminates the fun of stalking. Bowhunters get a kick out of hunting bears in the fall, when they are in the salmon creeks. Also, a good many scentfield and creative baiting tricks are more interesting than sitting in stand watching a barrel of meat. In addition, British Columbia and Alaska offer boat based bear hunts. This also may be the case in Maine, New Brunswick, and other east coat areas. Self guided hunts with support by an outfitter or other hunting professional also increase the interest level of the bear hunting game. It is a good idea to respect the advise of the hunters and old timers who have been around, but why would you want to to on the same hunt they went on?

Inexperience hunters and hunts for certain dangerous bears such as Alaskan brown bears require a guide. There are a lot of great guides all over the country and they do a good job. But don't let them take the hunt out of hunting. The more experience we get, the hunts we remember are the ones where we outsmarted, overcame obstacles, went through adventures, and came through by taking an animal we got with our hunting talent. The real question isn't "How do I find a guide?" It is "How do I plan a great hunt?"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page