Great advice so far. Here's a few questions that you might want to ask yourself before you choose an outfitter.
- Do you want a HUGE deer or are you looking for a representative deer of the area? If looking for a really large deer, you will probably will need preference points.
- Do you only want to hunt mulies or maybe an elk (cow or bull) or an antelope?
- Will you hunt with bow or rifle?
- Will you be going alone or with a buddy or group?
- Do you want to hunt from a drop camp or a lodge? hunt by horseback? ride around in 4X4 and spot and stalk a buck?
- Most outfitters have lodges or will you want your own motel room?
- What kind of budget are you prepared for spending?
I've hunted Wyoming, Colorado and Montana with different outfitters. The best one I found so far is Big Rack Outfitters (www.bigrack.com
) in Hayden, CO. Eric runs a very good operation. He has over 25K acres of private acres and very accomodating on what you want to do. You probably wont kill a BC mule deer but will definitely see top notch bucks and bulls (if you do a combo). I will be going back to hunt there.
I have not hunted with the Triple Three ranch that was mentioned, but have seen a lot of positive ratings on different sites for them.
Keep in mind when researching... The web sites only get the top notch kills for the outfitter. And most references the outfitter gives are going to be from successful hunts.