Anyone have a muley outfitter ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Anyone have a muley outfitter ?

While watching mule deer hunting my wife says you should shoot one of them. Well OK !!!!!!!!!!!!! Does anyone recommend an outfitter ?

-"of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy" --

William Sherwood Fox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 08:37 PM
New Arrival

Re: Anyone have a muley outfitter ?

Hello greenhead -
I'll jump in with a response......I went out to Buffalo, Wyoming in October last year (09') and hunted with Triple Three Outfitters. The guy that runs it is named Craig Smith. I did the combo hunt for mule deer and antelope but you can just do mule deer if desired. He is located just outside Buffalo, WY and runs a nice operation. It was my first trip out west and I could not believe how many animals you see out there. Whitetails, antelope and mulies everywhere we went. Not that its easy, but he has access to good properties and most clients shoot a respectable to very nice animal. Accomodations were just fine (basic and clean) and his staff/guides all seemed knowledgeable of the area/properties. I found him to be up front, honest and there were no unpleasant surprises. I shot a 24" heavy racked-medium height mule deer on the 2nd day and nice antelope on the 3rd day of the five day hunt. Check out his website and give him a call to check on pricing. It was about $3400 for mule deer and another $800 to add the antelope. Its not cheap, but it was a lot of fun and you won't regret going. He has a 2nd camp open now too that is a tent camp setup. This location is about an hour south of Buffalo from what I understand and is on good properties in that area. When I went I flew from Philadelphia to Denver then on to Sheriday, WY where I rented a car for the 30 minute drive south to Buffalo. Craig and his Triple Three Outfitter operation have had a lot of guys from PA hunt there over the years and I would expect he could provide any number of references for you to check out if desired. Good luck in your search. Another place I have an eye on is in Broadus, Montana and is called the Gardner Ranch. I saw some pics of a few local guys that went there last year and had good success. Their combo antelope/deer pkg looks like a good price too. I can't speak from personal experience with them though. Know ahead of time too that liscenses are very expensive no matter where you go. It cost me several hundred dollars just for the deer and antelope liscense last year. Montana is just as bad or worse from what I understand....all part of the cost of going though so just keep that in mind. Eventually the sticker shock wears off...sort of. Have fun searching out where to go and definately solicit and call back a few references before you decide. Ask what they liked and what they did not like about their experience. Don't just go with the cheapest either as that is not necessarily going to get you a good mule deer or overall experience. You can send me a PM if you want additional details on the the trip I took last year.

Here are the websites:
http://www.triplethreeranch.com/
http://www.groutfitters.com/
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

It depends upon what you want in the way of a hunt. If you don't mind hunting from a 4WD pickup, some of the best mule deer hunting is in the Missouri River Breaks country of southeastern Montana. You might look up Cedar Breaks Outfitters in Broadus, Montana for that type of hunt. I saw over 200 deer in one hayfield one morning.
http://www.cedarbreaksoutfitting.com/

If you would prefer a horseback hunt in the high country, I think either of the following two outfitters would give you a great hunt.
Star Valley Outfitters is located in Western Wyoming.
http://www.starvalleyoutfitters.com/

Heaven's Gate Outfitters is located in Idaho.
http://www.hgoid.com/

I have personally been on all three of these hunts. If you have any specific questions after viewing the websites, drop me a pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 03:34 PM
PHA
Frequent Contributor

The two posts above are right on as far as number of animals you will see. When PA hunters go to a place like Wyoming and see 20+ bucks per day, plus antelope, turkeys and coyotes they are in awe. Couple that with the beauty of the American west and the experience as a whole and you will ask yourself why you waited so long to do it.

There are many good outfitters to choose from. Just be sure you end up with one that understands how you prefer to hunt and what your trophy expectations are. The first reply above mentions a deer/antelope combo. These are very popular because outfitters give a nice price break over doing both species as a separate hunt. Being you already spent the money to get there makes it that much more cost effective.

Now is the time to be thinking about western hunts as application deadlines are only a few months away depending on the state. You would be amazed at how many times I get inquiries from guys in September or even later wanting to do western hunts for that same fall. When I explain that the drawing for licenses is over and no tags remain, they had no idea that there were application deadlines.

One more thing, your wife is right, you really do need to shoot one of those. Good luck.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 01:48 AM
Frequent Contributor

Great advice so far. Here's a few questions that you might want to ask yourself before you choose an outfitter.

- Do you want a HUGE deer or are you looking for a representative deer of the area? If looking for a really large deer, you will probably will need preference points.
- Do you only want to hunt mulies or maybe an elk (cow or bull) or an antelope?
- Will you hunt with bow or rifle?
- Will you be going alone or with a buddy or group?
- Do you want to hunt from a drop camp or a lodge? hunt by horseback? ride around in 4X4 and spot and stalk a buck?
- Most outfitters have lodges or will you want your own motel room?
- What kind of budget are you prepared for spending?

I've hunted Wyoming, Colorado and Montana with different outfitters. The best one I found so far is Big Rack Outfitters (www.bigrack.com) in Hayden, CO. Eric runs a very good operation. He has over 25K acres of private acres and very accomodating on what you want to do. You probably wont kill a BC mule deer but will definitely see top notch bucks and bulls (if you do a combo). I will be going back to hunt there.

I have not hunted with the Triple Three ranch that was mentioned, but have seen a lot of positive ratings on different sites for them.

Keep in mind when researching... The web sites only get the top notch kills for the outfitter. And most references the outfitter gives are going to be from successful hunts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page