Transporting your game back home. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Transporting your game back home.

How do you guys pack your meat to transport home when traveling 16 Hours or more. We are hunting bear in Maine this fall and I don't know what to expect as far as how much cooler space I will need and whether or not I need to use dry ice.

Ideally we will have time to get them processed and frozen before we leave, otherwise I'm guessing quartered, wrapped and in the cooler will have to do.

Also, how do you transport the hides?

I will be asking the outfitter also, I am just trying to gets some tips from people with experience.

Thanks in advance

Oh, and I would also like to bring back the fat if possible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 01:30 AM

Re: Transporting your game back home.

jk, I am driving to Arizona for an elk hunt this fall. my plan is to take out 3- 100 quart coolers and if I shoot an elk, which I hope I do I am planning on having my whole elk boned out at the butcher, vacuum sealed, and frozen. I then plan on putting it on dry ice for the ride home, which will take me 2 days. I also plan on having my hide frozen and I am bringing everything back. I have hunted maine for bear many times and the outfitter should freeze everything for you. my outfitter up there froze all our quarters and hides and we had no problem driving 10 hours back home with them. if you shoot late make sure you get everything cooled down and on ice. add ice on the way back as needed just find a way to keep the meat away from the water as the ice is melting
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 02:20 PM

we used to take a chest freezer along in the bed of the truck. We used it to hold our food and drinks on the trip up, filled with meat on the way back with either ice or dry ice.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 08:49 PM

You should be good if its frozen when you leave camp and keep it on ice. I have a 150 quart xtreme coleman if ya need to borrow it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 08:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Have brought bears back twice from New Brunswick. If the Hide and meat is frozen solid you will be fine in a good cooler. DO NOT open the cooler lid when stopping to eat, get gas etc.. This lets the hot/warm air in and compromises your bear.

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 08:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hides were folded and put in contractors trash bags, with absolutely no problems.. They were also 100% frozen.

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 12:48 PM

Be careful how you freeze your hides. I was hunting bear in northern Maine 15 years ago. Five guys scored on bears the first night of the hunt. After taking pics the next morning, they were skinned, placed in garbage bags and tossed into a chest freezer. Five days later, it was discovered the bear on the bottom never froze, it was still room temperature. It had an odor and hair was slipping. The other hides insulated the one on the bottom from the cold. This was compounded by the fact the generator at camp was shut off at night. Luckily none of our hides were affected. When we hunted brown bear in Alaska our hides were fleshed , salted and dried. A lot more work than freezing, but freezer space was limited on the boat.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks everyone for all of the info and advice

jk6140, Thanks for the cooler offer, I think we're covered though.

Appreciate it
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Re: Transporting your game back home. Ship Instead

Anyone ever ship their game back home? We may fly instead of drive.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 04:43 PM
The Man

Re: Transporting your game back home. Ship Instead

I have shipped meat home with me many times while flying. 95% of the time I've had no issue.
One time while coming back from a Newfoundland moose hunt, there was not enough room on the flight to bring it home with me. So I left it at the butcher shop and they were to ship it to me. I specified the day I wanted it to arrive, but it never came. A hurricane went up the coast and across NFLD and had everything screwed up.
Turned out my moose meat arrived at US customs in Pittsburgh on a Friday afternoon. They called me, at work in Harmarville at the time, at 4:15 pm with their office closing at 5pm. I was at work by myself and no way I could get there in time. They would not wait. The customs office had no refrigeration and were not open Sat or Sun that weekend and it was extremely hot, over 90 degrees. So there my meat sat, baking all weekend until Monday. Needless to say, I lost the entire moose.
I've only had one flight since then that the meat could not come home with me. On that occasion I just signed it over to someone who would use it, not wanting to risk losing an entire animal again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page