Bear Hunt? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Bear Hunt?

Looking to do a Maine bear hunt next year. Have any of you ever gone. If so what outfitter/guide and what was your experience like. Also was your hunt successful? Thanks in advance, Dustin

Pennsylvania State University
Forest Ecosystems Management 2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 01:11 AM
PHA
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bear Hunt?

Dustin:

I have posted on here before that I book for PB Guide Service in Maine.

Here is the link to this hunt:http://www.premierhuntingadventures....ry/black-bear/

Below are comments I received via email from a client I booked there in 2010.

Larry,

Maine Black Bear Hunt:

182 pounds (my first bear, but exactly what I wanted) the white spot adds to what will make a beautiful mount.

3 to 4 year old female without cubs (never had cubs).

Taken August 30, 2010 at 7:30 PM (first night out).

One shot at about 40 yards with .30/06 bear ran about 60 yards no tracking required.

Sighted 14 bears in 3 nights of hunting/filming, saw one bigger (200 plus) but with cubs.

Camp rules prohibit taking bears with cubs.

Saw 7 moose, 1 deer, 1 coyote, and 1 fox (no pictures not allowed prior to shooting)

Got excellent video of 200 Lb plus female with 2 cubs on 09-01-10. (my hunt was over).

Had a wonderful time met lots of nice people (hunters from as far as Texas and Oklahoma).

First night out our group sighted over 20 bears in five hours of hunting (5 hunters!!!).

As of 09-02-10 (after 4 nights of hunting) 29 bears were taken by 35 hunters lots passed and/or missed/wounded by archers.

Largest bear 345Lb, smallest 85 Lb, If you want a big bear you must be able to pass on the small ones.

If someone wants to kill a bear, this is the place to go. THIS IS BEAR HEAVEN!!!

I believe Paul Beauregard has bear blood in his veins and would recommend his facility.

Food was excellent, kitchen open 24/7, bath and laundry facilities on site and open 24/7.

Transportation is a little rough as this is a VERY REMOTE campsite, about 100 miles in on dirt roads, but lots of bears.

Feel free to use this info in any way you want…

Your friend in hunting,

Carl

Dustin, as of last week there were a few openings left for the first week. The second week is also a good week. If you have questions or would like to book, please call or email. I can also provide some references from PA if you would like.

Thank you,

Larry Holjencin
[email protected]
814-594-5870
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

What are the rates like for this guide? Are there still spots open? It would be me and my dad. A 15 year old and my dad in mid 40's

Pennsylvania State University
Forest Ecosystems Management 2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 11:06 PM
PHA
Frequent Contributor

Dustin:

Price is $1850 for a 6 day hunt. Includes meals, lodging, guiding, baited stands, skin/quarter/freeze your bear and time permitting, even cut up your bear. Excellent food with lobster on the menu one night!

There are still openings for the first and second hunts in 2011. Dates are: Aug.28-Sept.4 and Sept.4-11.

It's about a 750 mile drive from central PA.

Hope you decide to go. Feel free to call me or have your dad give me a jingle.

Thanks,

Larry Holjencin
814-594-5870
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 01:50 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I've hunted with Turnpike Ridge Outfitters in 2006 and 2008 for bear and 2009 for moose. Don and his guides are great people, friendly and do everything they can to get you your game. I will say it is one of my favorite camps to go to. I'm right now trying to get some guys from work together for another bear trip for 2012. I would go next year, but I'm heading to South Africa for plains game. Don's contact info is below.

Turnpike Ridge Outfitters
HCR 69, Box 558
Medway, Maine, 04460

Here is a pic of the moose I killed with Don on October 13, 2009. Also killed a bear in 2008, and passed on a sow with cubs in 2006 with Don

"Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline."
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 05:58 PM

I hunted with PB last year, pm me if you need more information.

Brookside Game Calls and HydroFX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page