Caribou Hunt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Caribou Hunt

Looking to plan a caribou hunt with an outfitter.. Just started researching now.. Looking for the ins and outs and any advice. I'm used to DIY style hunts and have only hunted with one outfitter before for mule deer. I'm pretty green with searching for an outfitter and definitely green with it comes to caribou hunting. Any information would be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 07:14 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Caribou Hunt

Feast or famine! That's caribou hunting in a nutshell. I've hunted them three times. Woodland w/ West Woods Outfitters and Quebec Labrador w/ Expeditions North fully guided and successful. Then DIY for the barren ground species above Kotzebue, Alaska with tag soup. Transporter was We Guide Alaska. Weather played a key factor in my Alaska hunt. I saw 5 caribou all week and could have killed one of them. I decided to pass in hopes of killing a bigger one. Would hunt with above outfitters again but if going to Alaska I'd use Northern Air out of Kotzebue. Caribou are incredible animals to hunt and I hope to take all 5 species if my health and finances will allow it. These tundra giants are my second favorite animals to hunt. Bouncing antlers as wide as 5 feet are something that has been burned into my head. Looking forward to chasing them again very soon. Your first step should be to narrow down what species you want to hunt. Best of luck if you head north. Good huntin'

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 10:05 AM
The Man

I have shot 9 caribou so far - a barren ground in Alaska, 2 Quebec-Labradors in Quebec and 6 Woodland Caribou in Newfoundland.
You need to ask yourself a couple questions. Which kind do you want to hunt?
Do you really want to hunt with an outfitter or go DIY? And how much do you want to spend?
There are LOTS of options out there for caribou and it can be confusing. Do your homework and don't just jump on the first thing that looks good. Good luck. Post pics when you get back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 12:13 PM

been to Quebec on 5 trips killed 8 caribou ,,but since then the herd up there has really dropped ,, limit used to be 2 then dropped to 1 ,, not worth the trip for just one
I doubt if it is back to 2 yet ,check into the Mirage outfitter in Quebec for more info
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 11:40 AM

check lots of references too. we got burned by Safari Nordik way back in 1989. they have changed owners since then so I cant really say anything about the new operation.

but the old operators were very good at selling and lying.

the price of caribou hunts have doubled since then, we didn't see a live caribou but we did enjoy hunting ptarmigan.

lots of dead caribou laying all over the place with the hindquarters and backstraps removed, what a horrible waste.

like I said the ownership has changed since then, find out what kind of caribou you want to go after and check references and find out what time of year they went, miss the migration and its going to be pretty bad.

I never went back, but wished I had, cant afford it now.

Good Luck, post some pics when you get back.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 02:26 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr
we got burned by Safari Nordik way back in 1989.
IMHO, Quebec is the easiest place to get "burned" on a caribou trip. I've heard of more bad trips there than all other places combined. I spent a week there without seeing a caribou as well. That happens and that's hunting. My beef was that the outfitter advertised that if that happened, they'd move you to a more productive camp. We came to find out later that this outfitter did not own his own aircraft and relied on someone else for his flying. Well guess what??? The owner of the aircraft is going to take care of his hunters, not somebody else's so we never really were going to get moved at all.

Lesson learned. Since then, whenever I go on a fly-in hunt. I will not use an outfitter who doesn't own his own aircraft.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 12:27 PM

Yep, Henri poupar(sp) who was the owner of Safari Nordik at the time made similar promises, that were all lies.

we were never moved, we were told that once we got into ungava bay we could check with those coming out of other camps as well as the camp we were going to and see if we wanted to move at that time.

well we wanted to move because everyone coming out of our camp told us to go somewhere else due to NO caribou being seen in 7 days, we were told that we couldn't be moved due to over crowding in the camp we wanted to move to.

when we got into camp it was way over crowded, it was cramped. the food wasn't as advertised, the guides wanted to stay with in sight of camp. and the nightmare goes on from there.

just be real careful and double check all references and search the internet for reviews too.

OH...we couldn't find the owner for the so called exit interviews when we got to montreal either, he was to meet with the hunters on the way in (he did) and the way out to make sure everything went well.

what a scam.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 02:07 PM
The Man

Common theme in Quebec. Most of those camps change ownership frequently as well. I'd be very leery of any newly bought out camps.
It always struck me up there that the Frenchies were more annoyed by American hunters than anything and were willing to take your money but not much else.
Now with the one caribou limit, the allure of Quebec is even less. If I were interested in a Quebec-Labrador caribou again, which I doubt will ever happen, I would definitely go to Labrador. I'm also pretty sure that the limit in Labrador is still two animals.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 04:03 PM
New Arrival

We went to Quebec in 2008 stayed at Mirage Outfitters we all limited out there was 4 of us we hunted the migration. It was all DIY we took a quad which helped drag them out of the bush..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page