Texas Whitetail Hunt? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Texas Whitetail Hunt?

Just wondering if any of you gentlemen can recommend a good outfitter for whitetails in Texas? I have a buddy that wants to go down and is looking for a quality hunt.

Never Misses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 02:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Texas Whitetail Hunt?

cha-ching---------$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I cant believe the prices for a Texas hunt.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 11:06 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CROW MASTER
How's that? If you stay away from high fences and the more famous south Texas ranches there are lots of hunts for under $3500, most include hogs and the bucks are very nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 11:16 PM
The Man

Here's one I found in a few minutes surfing:

LOW FENCE WHITETAIL DEER HUNTING

-This hunt will be done on our rifle hunting ranches. These ranches are open to bow hunters as well. The hunt is 3 days and 2 nights. Transportation on the ranch will be provided for you while you are hunting. This is a semi- guided hunt.

-1 Mature Buck

-Unlimited Hogs

-1 Turkey

-1 Bobcat

-Unlimited Predators

-1 Javelina

-Lodging (4 Days/3 Nights)

-Meals

-$2,200 Per Person - **(If There Is No Kill You Will Be Refunded $1,000.)**

This outfitter also offers other hunts including combo high/low fence (2 management bucks) for $3500, and high fence for up to 140" bucks for $2500 and of course the price goes up as the score goes up.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 11:19 PM
The Man

Another hunt for $1249!

3 DAY TROPHY HUNT WITH LODGING AND A GUIDE TO TAKE YOU TO AND FROM THE STAND,, YOU CAN TAKE A TROPHY BUCK AND PLEASE SHOT AS MANY OF THE WILD HOGS THAT YOU SEE AFTER YOU GET YOUR BUCK DOWN ,,NO DOE KILLS ON A 3 DAY TROPHY HUNT FOR $1249.00 WE HAVE NO OTHER ADDED FEE'S TO YOUR HUNT !!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 11:25 PM

Four county outfitters , great hunting good outfitter
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loridr
Quote:
How's that? If you stay away from high fences and the more famous south Texas ranches there are lots of hunts for under $3500, most include hogs and the bucks are very nice.
Can't think of anywhere else I would rather deer hunt than Texas. Shop around, there are a lot of low-fence operations around, and a lot of outfitters have dropped prices in the last few years. You should be able to get in under $2,000.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 05:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

wow, some pretty reasonable prices, flights for $400.00 out of avoca, what do you do with the meat? the cape and head? how do you get that stuff back to PA?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 08:30 PM
The Man

Quote:
wow, some pretty reasonable prices, flights for $400.00 out of avoca, what do you do with the meat? the cape and head? how do you get that stuff back to PA?
Maybe Kudu or Big will chime in as they have a lot more experience flying to hunts than me, but when I do fly I pack antlers in my big duffel along with my hunting clothes; If I want a mount I use the taxidermist that the outfitter uses and have them ship it when finished. I usually donate the meat to the local food bank through the outfitter but you can fly a small cooler back on most airlines for an extra baggage fee, I even flew a cooler of caribou meat back from Alaska one time.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 01:57 AM
The Man

Maybe I will chime in....There are a number of ways to get that meat home. If you have a butcher process it in TX, I'm sure they can ship it to you when they are done. I like to hang my deer for a few days anyhow, so if you're on a tight schedule flying home that can be good. Also depends on whether the butcher WILL hang it for you. Many of them are get them in, get them out, to maximize their space and money. May cost a bit more this way.
A good way that I've employed in the past. And I prefer to process my own game, but I've taken a vacuum sealer on trips with me. If you have time, and want to, you can cut the deer how you want it and vacuum seal all of it. Just leave it in a walk-in cooler until you're ready to go home.
Most, if not all, airlines will stipulate a waxed cardboard box or a styrofoam one, like used for fish and seafood, that will not leak. If you have the meat vacuum sealed then refrigeration, or leakage, is not a big issue if you were just flying home from TX. Wrap all seams of the box with the heavy wide cello tape and then go over it again with duct tape to make extra sure.
The most hunter friendly airline I've ever flown on is Alaska Airlines. I flew a caribou home with me and had blood leaking out of it all over. (I didn't vacuum seal that one.) Surprisingly, nothing was said or done when I got home, but boy did I get some strange looks loading blood leaking boxes into my truck at the Pittsburgh Airport. Likely, you would not get as lucky as I did.
Pack the meat into less than 50 pound boxes and take them as extra checked baggage. Alaska Airlines charged me $50 for the first box and $25 apiece after that one. If they are more than 50 pounds, you will pay an oversized fee.
For the antlers, I do like Lo said and put them in my big Cabelas bag. Take some 1/2 inch pipe insulation with you and fit them over the points to protect them. Stuff them in the middle of the bag and put a bunch of clothes around them also and you will be fine.

All depends on what you want.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page