Going Out West for first time have some questions? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Going Out West for first time have some questions?

I'm going out west, Idaho (OCT) to be exact. I'm just wondering what should I expect and what are some things I should bring. We will be horse back riding in to the camp which are walled tents. Any tips or helpful hints would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 04:38 PM
The Man

Re: Going Out West for first time have some questions?

For some good advice you should provide some more specifics. You could be hunting deer, bear .elk, moose or even antelope. Are you using bow or rifle? Some more info would help others advise you.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 05:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

Get into shape well ahead of time. Those horses are going to get you there but there's going to be a lot of shoe leather express on those mountains. Also know your rifle and what your maximum range is. I've only gone DIY so I guess you're going to have to rely on your guide. Take lots of pics and enjoy the hunt whether or not you get shooting. Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

We will be hunting mainly Elk and Whitetail/Mule Deer. IT will be a rifle hunt. I need to practice shooting at longer ranges as I never really shoot over a 100-120 yds. It's 4 of us and it will be 1 guide per 2 hunters. We aren't going until 2016 but I do want to start getting in shape now.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 08:41 PM
Part of the Community

Work on your cardio and ankles. You must put a pack on your back and work out. Seriously work out. If you don't and just think your going to be okay then you will not have a good time. If you smoke, stop now. Don't buy expensive camo and make sure your boots are well broken in. Your feet need to be harden. Elk don't live in easy to get to areas. I assume your hunt is going to be in Oct. be prepared for rain, snow, heat, or just nice weather. You don't need expensive gadgets and you shouldn't be expected to use the elk calls so don't waste money on that either. Bring a couple of sports bottles or Gatorade bottles for water. I can't express enough about under estimating the altitude and the steep terrian. Blow downs are everywhere and you will walk up a mountain just to walk down it just to walk back up it and then sideways across the mountain just to avoid the wind. A good guide will hunt the wind and will push you hard and fast to get you on elk. Rifle season is a little easier than archery but that doesn't mean it's easy. Keep in mind tha success rate is probably only 25% and thats because it's hard, very hard. I'm in the army and consider myself to be in above average shape. I could have been better. Remember, feet, ankles, back, cardio and inner thighs. Also mentally be prepared for a dawn to dusk hunt with little breaks in between. I recommend a 308 or 7mm or similar. Your scope is what should be your best piece of equipment. A fancy gun is going to get scratched so be prepared for that. A light synthetic stock and a synthetic sling is best. Bring a shooting stick too. You may only get one shot, make it count
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 05:04 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazz
We will be hunting mainly Elk and Whitetail/Mule Deer. IT will be a rifle hunt. I need to practice shooting at longer ranges as I never really shoot over a 100-120 yds. It's 4 of us and it will be 1 guide per 2 hunters. We aren't going until 2016 but I do want to start getting in shape now.
You have the right mind set! My 2 cents. Find a place where you can shoot up and down with some distance. Such as a stripin. Also a very good broke in boot. My choice is Meindl . Best of luck. You"ll be on your way before you know it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazz
I'm going out west, Idaho (OCT) to be exact. I'm just wondering what should I expect and what are some things I should bring. We will be horse back riding in to the camp which are walled tents. Any tips or helpful hints would be appreciated. Thanks
Buy Merino Wool Base and Mid Layers. Expensive, but worth every penny. I bought First Lite, it is really good stuff. Also get the headnet type head cover. It is indispensable.

If you don't have a lightweight rifle, get one. A tikka t3 lite in .300 short mag would be perfect.

Stony point II shooting sticks are good. A bipod will probably not fit in your scabbard.

I bought Danner Leather boots, the expensive ones made in the US. I used them on 3 trips out west, and they have been great. You can call them and they will try and size you over the phone, but offer free shipping on returns.

It is tough, I have been out twice for elk and struck out twice. I will back in 2016 though.

If you can, go out early and hike at altitude for a few days. It makes a difference no matter how good of shape you are in.

Take good raingear that can double as a shell. I have been using Cabelas MTO stuff for years and it worked great out there. My guide had the same stuff as me.

Take good sunglasses, if your vision needs correction, get a pair of prescription sunglasses made for you.

Don't carry stuff in your backpack the guide has.

That is about it for now, oh, make a list of everything you take and save it for the future, that really came in handy for me!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I'm taking my .300 wm. With a nikon Pro-Staff scope. Is bullet a big concern? For deer I shoot 180 grain cor lock. What about Binos?

Thanks everyone for the good info.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 06:05 PM

Outfitter told me to use 180 grain quality tip. I used Barnes TTSX's.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 08:12 PM
dce
Sage

What altitude will you be hunting at?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page