Tipping or Gratuities - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Tipping or Gratuities

You guys may have been over this subject many times, but I dont get on here that often. 4 of us are going to Africa in March. It is the first time for all of us. I appreciate any recomendations as far as tipping for the professional hunter & his staff. Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 10:38 PM

Re: Tipping or Gratuities

I have never been to africa, but friends of mine have been there at least half a dozen times. They of course tip appropriately in cash to the main people who help them. They also take a couple of cases of candy bars for the kids and others who help with little things. They say that you may have up to 30 different people doing something for you during your trip. Much different than a north american hunt.

Good luck and have fun.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 03:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Been there twice and have third safari booked for April 2016. This is how I tipped on both trips.

$450.00 (American$) PH
$250.00 (SA$) Tracker
$100.00 (SA$) Camp staff at each ranch. We stayed at two different camps.

First was 2X1 and second was 3X1

No right or wrong answer. Tip how you feel you were treated. Hope you have an awesome Safari. Just don't swallow the trebble hook like I did! Good huntin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 03:28 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run2Catch
They say that you may have up to 30 different people doing something for you during your trip.
That is a big stretch, even if you're hunting with a production line, cookie cutter, numbers outfit. More likely it will be a PH, a tracker, maybe a skinner, a cook and a laundry person. And the cook and laundry person may be the same person. The tracker and skinner likely will be the same person. So realistically you're looking at three, maybe four people.
I have hunted Africa five times and used to set up trips for people for the outfit I went with.

Without knowing the specifics of your trip, it is very difficult to tell someone what they should tip. Is it one on one PH. How many days? Are you hunting dangerous game? And many more questions. Judge how you feel your trip is and tip accordingly.
Also, for the natives working for an outfit. Money may not do them any good. If they have no transportation and don't live near a town, where will they spend it? Depending on the situation, clothing and material goods are the best things you can give them. Just tipping money is an American's way of looking at it. The Ph definitely should be cash though.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Kudu, we will be hunting plains game. 5 animals each, including a KUDU. Tee Hee Tee Hee. It is a 6 day hunt with 1 PH with 2 hunters. We are looking forward to this trip. Thank you guys for the info.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 12:58 AM
The Man

Then the info that Big 28 gave you is pretty good, maybe even a tad high if you are two on one. But judge your trip and go from there.

Going in March, be prepared to sweat a little. Good luck on the kudu. You will LOVE hunting them. Magnificent animals. I have gotten 4 so far. A 50, 51, 53 and 57.

If you have extra cash to spend, I would strongly recommend going after an eland as well. When I started hunting eland, they rapidly became my favorite animal to hunt over there. Wish I had started on them in my earlier trips.

Anyway, be sure to post some pics when you get back.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 04:21 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Should have been clearer. The total for PH and tracker was collectively. For each camp we all gave $100.00 each. Remember there is no wrong answer. Here's a couple animals from my first two safaris. My favorite critter by far is the blue wildebeest. How did you make out on airfare? Our group will be getting ours this summer. Your welcome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page