late winter Hog hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

late winter Hog hunting

My job requires that I take one of my vacations before the end of April every year.I hate to waste a vacation week.Does anybody have a good recommendation for a hog hunt? We always went to Black River Plantation in S.C..but they changed owners several times since then and the reviews haven't been too good lately.Looking towards S.C. or maybe GA.Lots of good looking hunts in FLA.but I don't think we want to drive that far.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 06:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: late winter Hog hunting

How about in PA? I know of one outfit off of interstate 80 "think its off the shippenville exit". There is also one up in Tioga county. Probably a little more pricey, but if you figure in the gas money your going to spend driving out of state, could be worth it. www.doubleboarranch.com/ www.tiogaboarhunting.com My grandfather and I actually stoppe by the double boar ranch and took a little tour. The lodge was really nice and the Husband/Wife seemed really nice and down to earth. Plus I think hunting a hog with snow on the ground would be awesome
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

Forgot to mention, my grandfather took me on a hog hunt when I was 9. We went to Tennessee and hunted out of the "Crooked Creek Lodge". There was a group of 8 of us and we all scored on hogs. Dont know if they are still around though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks,but not interested in the local preserves. I went to a few of them years ago,lots of fun,but looking more for a free ranging hunt in the swamps down south.All the preserves I went to were like hunting in a zoo.

Bob
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Frequent Contributor

I plan on a late season hog hunt as well. Mine will be in the Ocala FL area, I have found a lot of information by joining a Florida shooting forum. I would guess either of the states you listed would have State forums that would be helpful. I have also found Ocala outfitters on Craigslist Ocala.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 06:34 PM
Part of the Community

I went to Back Water Boars in Georgia at the begining of the summer. 6 of us got 6 hogs, me and another guy missed and 2 guys got 2. Anthony does a great job and the food is good. I found the place from a couple of of members on here.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Sab
New Arrival

I'm putting together another trip down to Georgia in January to my normal guy. Been down there a bunch of times for hogs and gator. Shoot me a PM and I'll send you info, we might even have room for 1 more if you wanna think about jumping in with us. He only does bow hunts. No gun. I've written about him before here. Fow whatever reason this site is not letting me sign in under my name so I had to re register. My old name was cwa1104sab. you can search for that if it helps
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the info camptj,their website looks pretty good.Thanks for the offer Sab,but there are at least 2 of us,maybe 3. And we will probably go with muzzleloaders this time .
Bob
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 11:29 PM
Wiz

I spend a few days per year in January and February hunting hogs in GA. I find plenty of hogs on public ground and usually hunt them with a .22 mag during small game season. However, several of the WMA's around the state have a special firearms season from March 1-10 each year. Its not a guarantee score but my buddies have not gone away empty handed on any of their hunts.

I'll be heading down to one of the WMAs with some friends from PA come March and should have a good time. Access to a boat really helps but isn't necessary if you don't oppose walking.

I'm keeping my eyes open for a boat and if I can find one in the next year or so and thought about offering some hunts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 12:05 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

What about NC? Anyone ever hunt for hogs there? Not too far of a drive.
What about T&M Hunting Properties? Seems reasonable. Fair chase, no fence, good price.. Anyone ever hunt there?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page