Elk on a Budget - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Elk on a Budget

Hey guys, this question is for those of you guys that have went out with elk outfitters. I want a great hunt, with high chances of taking a nice trophy elk, but I'm on a budget. Anyone recommend a state and outfitter? Please share your experiences!

IF YOU SEND ME A PM, I WON'T GET IT USUALLY UNLESS I SEND ONE FIRST. REPLY & TELL ME TO PM YOU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 01:33 AM

Re: Elk on a Budget

Check out page 3 of the bear and elk forum
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Deer Hunter, I'm not trying to be sarcastic by any means but what you're looking for may not exist. Like the saying goes...good, fast and cheap...pick any two. If you want a great hunt, with a nice chance at a trophy elk but you want to do it on the cheap it's gonna be REAL tough. Any outfitter who provides quality hunts for true trophy animals is gonna charge a pretty penny for them. Now, if you're looking for a good hunt on a budget with a chance at a bull in general you may have much better odds. You can do anything from a DIY hunt which can be done for 1500 bucks door to door or you can drop 25k on a top of the line trophy hunt. I think you may need to adjust your expectations though depending on what you mean by "budget" I know when I hear someone say "budget" I'm thinking 3k or under.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:41 PM
The Man

Alot of what your asking depends on what your "budget" is and what you consider a trophy. If you can get 3 other guys together a DIY with a decent chance of getting into elk can be done for around 1,100 bucks per person.

Founder and Proud Member Potter County Hunting Stinks Club
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 04:42 AM

If you don't go overboard on food it can be done for around $800. We did Colorado this year in archery season and lic. was $546(?), my share of gas was $194, plus a couple meals on the way out and back.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 11:31 PM

I won a 10 day Montana horse back elk & mule deer hunt on E-bay for $2500. Then the outfitters lincense was another $1000. Total trip was about $5000 with airfare. Out of 4 guys me & another guy shot elk. Mine was a 5 x5 & his was a 6x6. We hunted the BoB

Life Member NRA
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 10:05 PM

Colorado is probably your best bet, but you need to do your homework. For better advice here I'd say be more specific. We're all on a budget, some are bigger than others. I've only hunted elk a few times and never took one but from what I've seen, the bow hunters hunting during the bugle season have a better chance of shooting a nice bull unless you can go to some of the better places to rifle hunt which require a somewhat larger budget. Either way no guarantees.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I remember a while back somewhere on here someone posted a boatload of info on a diy hunt for elk. Real good stuff like where to stay and what area to hunt etc It was detailed, might be worth trying to find it

Good Luck

Sab, yup thats my name...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yeah, that was me who posted that for Colorado. I just got back from that hunt two weeks ago and we took 2 5x5 bulls (should of had more) hunting the area I mentioned. I have a meeting to get too of I'd dig up the post.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Bear, I remember mstly hw "cool" you were with giving out the info freely with an attitude like...,hey man I dont mind helping. Good job helping fellow hunters and thanks again

Sab

Sab, yup thats my name...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page