Canadian or Alaskan Dall Shhep recommendation - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Canadian or Alaskan Dall Shhep recommendation

I am looking to book a hunt for a Dall Ram in either canada or Alaska. What are the pros and cons of going to one or the other? And any recommendations for good outfitters. Does anyone have any experience with prices on these hunts. I am thinking all said and done it will run about 15k. The hunt and taking a sheep is more important to me than tagging a truly huge animal. A world class trophy would be a bonus.

Every bird I bag is a beautiful poignant thing. - Charles Fergus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 03:15 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Canadian or Alaskan Dall Shhep recommendation

I did a lot of research when I was getting ready to book my dall sheep hunt. If money wasn't a factor then I would surely have chosen the Yukon for the simple fact less hunting pressure and bigger rams. I'm a working man so I chose a small operation in Alaska called Max Schwab. All my research showed me that Max would be a great outfitter to hunt with. Even seen his name mentioned in some magazine articles and by hunters like myself trying for the Super Slam. My hunt dates are from 8-17 till the 26th for $11500.00, airfare $35.00 (US Air Mastercard Reward Travel), $85.00 license, $425.00 sheep tag, $124.00 hotel in Anchorage, and a couple hundred for incidentals. Total $12469.00 and of course tips for my guide. During my search I found hunt prices varying from $8500 to $21500 for a dall. Very broad in my mind. Like you I'm not looking for a 40"er but I sure won't pass one up either. I will be very happy with any legal ram and will smile all the way to the taxi with him. I have talked with several hunters that have hunted with Max and they have told me I'm in good hands. Best of luck on your search and good huntin'

My friend Angelo Biao's double broomed beauty!

Here's Max's website if interested.
www.maxschwab.com/‎
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 12:05 AM
Part of the Community

What big28hunter said is good advise.I will also add,if need be, can i stay extra days.The weather can be unpredicable in Alaska.Even though everybody speaks of 40 inch rams,it's more likely to harvest a 32-34 inch ram.
But any 8 plus year old is a good sheep. Also another reason for high end hunts in the yukon,is because some area have alot of dark hair in the rams(Stones sheep}.
Good luck to both of you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 02:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks jarentz! I'll take all I can get! Good huntin'
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 09:25 PM
Frequent Contributor

I'm booked for a alaska dall sheep hunt in 2015 with Hidden Alaska guides and outfitters. My buddy has hunted with this outfit three times and can't say enough good things about them. He was 100% on sheep last year. It all depends on weather and your condition. NWT is a another good sheep hunt with Stan Stevens. If you have anymore questions send me a PM. goodluck
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 10:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i used to not be able to figure out why these animals were even hunted when i was younger and then i found out just exactly where these creatures call home and now kind of really want to hunt one. i am in for some steep mountain treks.

You want me to put my ear to the ground? Listen for hoof beats? Look for broken twigs?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 04:16 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskyman62
i used to not be able to figure out why these animals were even hunted when i was younger and then i found out just exactly where these creatures call home and now kind of really want to hunt one. i am in for some steep mountain treks.
I know I'm in for a tough hunt. I just pray to GOD it isn't like my BC goat hunt.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 11:41 PM
Part of the Community

Sheep and goat{mountain huntng) can't get any better than that.We all know how costly and phyical it is,but if your fortunate enough to hunt either of them,you'll have a lifetime of memories.I can sit and look at my Dall Sheep and Goat and reminisce.
Good luck and take plenty of photo's
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 01:24 AM
Frequent Contributor

Can't be much help on hunting Canada. My "dream hunt" was to hunt dall sheep in the Brooks Range up in the Artic . My goal was to enjoy the whole process and hopefully take a respectable animal. It was important for me to hunt with the person I was booking with since we would spend a lot of time together. I also wanted someone who didn't mind answering all my questions.

From what I understand, price is based alot on accessability and trophy potential. Most are good guys that work hard to make a living.

Best wishes on your decision! Enjoy your adventure! Lots of great memories! PM me if I can be any help.

NRA endowment life member
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 11:16 AM
Part of the Community

In 2008 I went with Joe Letarte of Wilderness Enterprises (Alaska Range). I harvested a gorgeous 37 1/2 ram but definitiely get in shape. I hunted roughly 6 days for my sheep, saw prob 200+ 3 shooters. Excellent guide and area.
I'm heading back next August for Mountain goat. If you have any questions, let me know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page