Looking to try a more exotic hunt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Looking to try a more exotic hunt

Hi guys. I am interested in doing more exotic hunting and fishing trips. I have never hunted outside of the northeast. My hunting buddies aren't very adventurous so I am looking for other guys who would be interested in something like this. I am no loaded so I can't afford anything too exotic but maybe an elk or caribou drop camp or some remote fishing. Anyone planning something that needs another guy, let me know. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 09:49 PM

Re: Looking to try a more exotic hunt

I don't know about you but something ive always wanted to do since I was kid growing up watching fishing shows sun afternoon on ESPN was to go to south america and catch peacock bass! that's something that was imprinted on me early and ive never forgotten about that! that would be a blast!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

That would be pretty cool. I'm thinking of an Alaskan caribou hunt in September 2015. I can't go that far this year but would like to do some cheaper trips this year. Maybe something cheap like a fly fishing camping trip.

Anyone else interested?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 05:02 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A trip to Alaska is worth every penny you spend on it. Heck the float plane or super cub flight into your hunting area is worth the price of admission in itself!

(Our hunting area in the Alaskan Arctic)

Can be done very reasonably too. Hunted above Kotzebue in 2008 with two of my brothers. Even though we didn't punch any caribou, bear, wolf, or wolverine tags we had a great trip. Passed on a few small bulls waiting for the big boys but the weather shut the migration down. Highlight of the trip was being charged by a sow grizzly with cubs. Thank GOD we did the right thing by getting down wind of her and letting her smell us. 10 more yards and bullets would have been flying! I'd certainly go back in a heartbeat! Hunting DIY can be very rewarding though and you cut the costs substantially.

(Here's a auodad ram and javelina my brother Dave and I took in South Texas along the border of Mexico.)

These hunts fully guided start around $4500.00 and go up from there. We paid a trespass fee of $850.00 and had the entire ranch to ourselves. I'm headed up to Prince of Wales Island, Alaska on the 13th of September for bear and sitka blacktail. If you want to tag along to fish, crab, and hunt blacktails we can fit you in. Bear tags are by draw only. Next year I have to do a smaller scale hunt so I don't think a caribou hunt will fit into my budget but I do plan on hunting columbia blacktail in Oregon to complete my NA Deer Slam. If I'm unable to sneak up there this year. I'd certainly help you out anyway I can if you get a group to go. My past experience has been tough though when it comes to getting guys to money up when deposits and flights are do. Best of luck on whatever adventure you choose. Good huntin'
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for the invite. Those pics are awesome. I've had the same problem with guys talking but not willing to part with their money. I'll have to see what funds I can muster. I just spent a week at Disney World with ,y wife and kids so funds are kinda low right now. I'll see where I stand after income taxes are paid. Thanks again.

Also, what part of PA are you in?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 07:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Springer, the week at Disney hits home. I usually do a outta state hunt every 2 years, and when I get home, I usually walk into "I just booked Disney." She would rather do Disney then a Caribbean trip.

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

My wife is the same way. She loves Disney. I find it exhausting but my kids are young and it was their first trip. They had a great time.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 11:01 PM

mebey not everyones idea of exotic, but i love fishing remote lakes up in canada. you can get away from everyone, not see a plane all week, and catch fish like you simply can't imagine here. catching fish as long as my leg, thats exotic to me.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yellodog: That's exactly what I am talking about. Exotic to me is Canada, Alaska, the Rocky Mountains, etc.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

Springer Rage, I'm up for hunting anywhere also but my family is all talk. I have 4 weeks vacation per year, save 1 for the wife and the others are mine. Yes I have a great wife. I normally do a bow hunt in Ohio have year, but always looking to go somewhere new.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page