Bald Eagle State Park - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Bald Eagle State Park

What's with all the dead Sacalait (I mean Crappie, I'm from LA we call things different names then up here..haha)? Went fish there yesterday caught a few fish but noticed multiple sacalait floating dead, one was barely alive by the bank and didn't even swim away when I touched it. And had a lot of dead ones on the bank, saw at least 50 dead ones. Just wondering, didn't see dead fish of any other species.

Also wondering as far as bass fishing from the bank what kind of things to target and what kind of plastics do they like up here. I know you can't keep bass right now but I just want to get good at catching them up here right now. In LA we have a lot of vegetation and cypress Trees in the water so things are a little easier. I did catch one bass by just casting out in the open and eventually finding structure by feeling with my bait. I'm not the best fisherman in the world but pretty good when I'm in my element, a little lost up here haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Bald Eagle State Park

I was just there on thursday morning and saw a few dead CRAPPIES as well but no where near 50.I assumed the ones I saw were from being hooked to deep but not sure by any means.Can't really help you much with the bass but I've been catching alot of crappies from my kayak.If you want to fish for them you can do well from the fishing pier or from the bank in hunter run.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thought about renting a Kayak..But never kayak fished.. The bank fishing for bass is a little tough, a lot of people limits you from moving around to much and not a whole bunch of structure like I'm used too.
I went to Whipple Dam Last weekend caught a nice bass pushing 2 lbs. and a couple bluegill. Saw trout, couldn't get them to bite tried salmon eggs, trout dough, corn, and worms... Had what seemed to be a good fish on but missed it, was fishing a plastic worm and it took off running went to set the hook and tried to set too hard.

Being hooked too deep could be it..I see a lot of people up here like to use very small hooks and the fish swallow them..resulting in throwing back dead or soon to be dead fish because they aren't 9 Inches..
I use small hooks but not that small, still catch plenty fish, and they live when I release them..

Also I got on the SACALAIT hehe pretty good over there on y 3rd attempt caught over 20..But all but one was too small and the one was so close it wasn't worth risking it. Did get 6 nice slabs from some guys who were fishing in a boat and I guess they didn't feel like cleaning 6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 08:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Cool! I use a little bigger hook as well.I've caught about 150 in the 3 times I've been up so far and only about 10 or so were legal,didnt keep any though.I'd like to get enough for a meal one of these times.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamusky
Cool! I use a little bigger hook as well.I've caught about 150 in the 3 times I've been up so far and only about 10 or so were legal,didnt keep any though.I'd like to get enough for a meal one of these times.
That's not bad at all! Seems like you got it figured out..I'm just cooking for one so I keep anything legal even if it's one, it all adds up throughout the week.
Was out there today caught one little bluegill and a nice little bass. Caught him on a Spro first cast popped it once and fish on. Catching bass but no smallmouth yet, really want to catch one never have, don't have them in Louisiana
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Was just there last evening and caught over 70!None legal but alot of fun!You may have a better chance of catching small mouth in Pine Creek or the river.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The Crappie die off is due to a fungus that they are getting again. It happened about 4-5 yrs ago and it was sickening there were thousands of dead crappies floating the whole way down the bald eagle to Mill Hall. They don't know what it actually comes from but its some kind of bacterial fungus. It is sad because it kills a lot of fish. Your best results for crappies is to use minnows and fish the first and last couple hrs of daylight. There is a lot of structure in almost every cove up there, but you can't see it above the water. One of the better spots for bass is the old railroad bed over against the mountain side. Hope this helps!

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

i was up there about two weekends ago dead crappies everywhere from the swimming beach down to the winter/fall launch. Stank to high heaven. SSSHH Barry don't give all the honey holes away. haha

"DROPS DUCKS LIKE RAIN"
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLAB
The Crappie die off is due to a fungus that they are getting again. It happened about 4-5 yrs ago and it was sickening there were thousands of dead crappies floating the whole way down the bald eagle to Mill Hall. They don't know what it actually comes from but its some kind of bacterial fungus. It is sad because it kills a lot of fish. Your best results for crappies is to use minnows and fish the first and last couple hrs of daylight. There is a lot of structure in almost every cove up there, but you can't see it above the water. One of the better spots for bass is the old railroad bed over against the mountain side. Hope this helps!
Ahh I did see some black spots on some of there heads..May have been the fungus..Looking at the map I already figured the railroad bed would be good. Unfortunately no boat for me up here, got one back home but I wasn't towing it 1300 miles haha. May break down and pay the $150 and rent one for a day before I head back down south. Unless anyone ever has an empty boat seat I can fill ?
And I gave up on the crappie I can catch plenty, but none legal..just wasting money buying the minnows.Still fun though but I rather catch bass if I'm going to be doing catch and release
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 05:04 PM
New Arrival

I saw the same thing recently at Greenlick Dam on the border of Fayette and westmoreland counties. At least 100 dead crappies on a stretch of 200 yards of shore. There were a couple of big largemouths rotting away too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page