• 1 Post By strutnstuff
  • 1 Post By Loggy
  • 1 Post By flintlock hunter
  • 1 Post By Zeke

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Snap swivel & jigs?

I have never been crappie fishing before & want to try this spring. Is it ok to attach a jig to a snap swivel. The swivel would make it a lot easier to switch to other jigs or whatever. Trying to get away from cutting line every time I want to change jigs. Another thought, a small ring like guys use in flu fishing to tie fillet to leader, then just change when needed. Any advice is welcome.
flintlock hunter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 06:20 PM
Sage

IMO you will catch more fishing tying jig directly to line. Of course, you lose the convenience of changing lures quickly but may not need to as often without a swivel! In addition...depending on how you work the jig a swivel will take away some of the lure action in the water.
SlickShot likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 07:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have never seen any difference in using a small snap swivel with a jig and split tail myself. but it may depend on where you fish and the amount of pressure the fish see???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:45 AM
Frequent Contributor

Spring crappie are a lot of fun.
I always tie the line directly to the jighook eye, but making certain to have the nott pulled toward the hook bend. Doing this gives a better presentation whether you fish it for suspended crappies after the spawn in deeper water, or in the springtime shallow water under a float.
NanookOdaNorth likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:22 AM
The Man

Depending...…..on how lazy I feel sometimes I use just a small snap, no swivel. I do think I get better hookups when tied directly to the line. I can feel light taps and hits better when tied directly.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 12:41 PM

I would also skip the swivel and just use a small snap if you want to go that route, but use a rounded snap for better lure action.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for all the replies. Retired from PFBC since 2011. We used to set trap nets for northern pike in the lagoons at Presque Isle as soon as ice was gone. I remember how many crappies & bluegill we used to get in the spring. Don't trap net anymore because of VHS disease & not wanting to spread it. Hopefully I will be able to catch a few. Will let you know how I do
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintlock hunter View Post
Spring crappie are a lot of fun.
I always tie the line directly to the jighook eye, but making certain to have the nott pulled toward the hook bend. Doing this gives a better presentation whether you fish it for suspended crappies after the spawn in deeper water, or in the springtime shallow water under a float.
I agree with this because if you slide the knot on the eye it causes the jig to hang horizontally which is more natural. A snap swivel lets the jig hang in an unnatural presentation, more of a vertical look. It makes a big difference if the crappie are being finicky. I also like to tip my jigs with a crappie nibble. It seems that they hang onto the jig just a little longer which means more hookups. Crappie fishing is my #1 favorite.
flintlock hunter likes this.

Last edited by Zeke; 03-07-2019 at 12:40 PM. Reason: spelling
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 07:42 AM
Frequent Contributor

Another vote for directly to the line for a jig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page