Help from some susky fishers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Help from some susky fishers

So i have a 16' styker lowe with a 20hp Mercury outboard. i have fished the susky 2 times once for catfish below liverpool and this morning at liverpool for smallmouth. Me and my friend did okay with small mouth we just enjoy fishing we dont keep anything but this time i noticed the water was only 4-2 ft as before it was 4-6 ft and after drifting a while and a issue of water (friend didnt tighten the plug) we were in 2ft of water and setting deeper then normal and i hit a few rocks with my motor. I was keeping my prop almost level with the bottom of my boat but the keel hit a few times one of the times must have been a outcrop because it did damage my prop, not bad i just need to file the rough chip down and paint it good to go but it was enough to make me weary. As the last time i was just watching for the visible signs of sunken rocks to avoid but here the rocks were much higher and difficult to find i ended up (after we got the boat fixed) standing an running very slowly so i could see if anything was coming. Other then that one hicup we had a blase the small mouths were hitting floating baits.
SO now questions i was looking into guards i want to fish the river more but my motor sits about 1' below the bottom of my boat when down all the way, i see several guards that cover the keel i understand the design but the motor on my boat is fixed and wont "hop" up when it hits something so this guard may work in protecting the prop an keel but that puts alot of stress on the motor mount an transom. Not to mention it doesnt cover the sides of the prop. Is the actual prop less likely to take damage with this type of guard think one was called the rock hopper .
NEXT question this water was 2-4 ft deep and the were hitting top water well but what about little deeper water would i just need to fish a deeper swimming lure? i assume that small mouth are through out the susky north to south? also where is a better place to fish for them if so i put in at liver pool but like i said the rocks were a bit rough i was told that dock was a good place to night fish for cats "little chance of hitting any rocks" was something along the line of what they said but i wouldnt want to tempt it. I just want to find a nice stretch of the river were i dont have to worry about my motor let alone my trolling motor to boot.

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 03:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My 25 hp merc has a shallow water drive lever you can enable so it will come up if the skeg hits anything? It is the same lever you use to raise the motor when you beach the boat or come into a shallow launch.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 08:19 PM

Have fished that area a lot over the years, keep an eye on the gauge at sunbury want it up around 9ft with a gas motor. Have done pretty well in that area with tubes, senkos, curly tail grubs. Always have gone up River from the ramp besides with a kayak or just using a trolling motor. I know up around sunbury it's deeper but never fished up there. Best advice I would give is keep an eye on river gauge and take it slow, learning the river also. 2 other boat ramps below liverpool and and another one a little further up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

my motor is lifted an lowered by hydraulics it has the buttons right on the throttle at the wheel and has buttons on the actual motor an i can only till it when the boat is still if i am moving forward or back it is locked which is what i dont get i know that some of the guards are made to take the force of the rock an the motor can "hop" up a little over the rock but i dont believe mine has that play in the mount so if i were to hit one hard it would put that force right on the transom, i can till the motor up almost level with the bottom of the boat tho but then if i throttle up too much it sounds like it is going to choke the motor im guessing because the higher up the motor the water intake doesnt get a constant flow of water if you create to much wake with the prop up tht high. i dont mind tilling it up and taking my time to get up stream an coast down while fishing i just really dont want to damage my boat that is why i was asking bout better locations to fish.

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 07:16 AM

Yea i would try up around Sunbury then, i know its deeper up that way because of the dam. That liverpool area and below can get real shallow and are there are some big legdes in there that i wouldnt want to hit. Of course there are sections of deeper water but a lot of times have to go through shallow water to get there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page