The hunt for Crappie....moved to proper forum - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

The hunt for Crappie....moved to proper forum

Anyone know of a good Crappie lake or pond in the area of Kane, Pa.? Some people claim that the Kinzua Dam has them, but in the 10+ years I've fished there, I've never caught any.... I've also heard that there is a small Res. area over near Bradford, Pa. that has them ( believe it's called Gilbert Run Res. ) - but can't find a place to park to hike into there..... Any information would be great.... Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 06:39 PM

Buzzard swamp.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/YooHoo/Bernice/Lucy
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I heard that B.Swamp is a great Bass lake, but Crappie? guess it shouldn't surprise me though... a lot of it seems hard to get to, so I've never fished it yet.... will give it a try this year for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 10:12 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

There are numerous methods for targeting Crappies, and each lake will be a little different as to best method.
Id suggest visiting Crappie.com and scroll down the PA forum to ask questions.
Ive only recently become a Crappie fanatic, commonly referred to as (Specks) here. This is the prime time here, and even the blind squirrels like me manage to catch them.
Some prefer the various trolling methods, but I prefer single pole jigging.
This time of year you can use the trolling motor to move very slowly along
the weed edges. We sometimes go right into the thick weed beds and create holes with a long rake device to drop a jig into.
Yesterday I fished Blue Cypress, which is also the very beginning of the Saint Johns river system. I didn't start till almost noon, caught 10 total, and brought home 5 nice ones. All on a very small 1/64 oz jig head with a very small Bobby Garland minnow which resembles a grass shrimp. Everything loves it including bass.
At my age I cant take 2 days in a row, but tomorrow ill make the 55 mile trip to the big lake.
The Trout Magnet jig kit by Leeland lures also works very well on Crappies, especially the bison color.
Ive been buying them direct and buying them in just the colors I like and in larger quanity, including the jig heads.
The smaller rubber parts do require replacing more often.
You can also find those in most Wall marts. Add a small split shot about 6 inches above on the small jigs.

Last edited by yobuck 1; 02-28-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page