Susky Smallies 9/24 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Susky Smallies 9/24

Got kids off to school and headed out for a scouting trip and crushed the smallies. Headed up the road to York Haven to explore new waters. Last 2 trips were with my 4yo son. Terrain was limited to 1or 2 hundred yards from the car. Need to get away.-
Finally in (as in wading, not boat in) water just shy of 9am. Not expecting much, I just began throwing the lure already on my rod. Rattling Chug Bug in Shad color.-
Fish came fast and furious under the bright sun. Several strikes before I could even close the bell. Little wind and wave action at times made fish even more aggressive. Once the sun began tucking behind the tree tops and shadows fell on the water the bite died. What were explosions were now several nibbles and pecks before the final take. Had to significantly slow down presentation.
From the dam I waded as far as dry creek bed just above Bruner Island before turning back. Time was 3pm and I had landed 77 SMB.-
On the return trip back to my car I managed another 27. Final 2 were 18" on consecutive casts! They balled bait fish up against the shore and were splashing all over the place. You could see their backs out of the water being just a few inches deep.

Several fish completely engulfed lure. Little blood from this one. Hooks carefully removed. No real damage.

Best outing ever!

Even had better than an hour of light remaining when I left, but didn't wanna get the wife mad since I was gone all day.

Total: 104
20"+ 3
16"+ 21
Most Fish consecutive casts: 6
Back to Back: stopped count @ 10
Hookups and lost: dozens

Aside from the sunburn and sore arms and legs, was an AWESOME day!

Laugher of the day: fighting one of the bigger fish in thigh deep water it takes a dive towards my legs. Not wanting to get stuck I began jumping and dicing around. Soon felt rod go limp figured I had lost fish. Suddenly tugging on my shoelaces and fish on my legs. He didn't get off, he hooked me. I had to waddle to the nearest rock to take my shoe off to take my fish off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 12:18 AM
The Man

Re: Susky Smallies 9/24

Wow!!

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 12:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Cool day. You need them once in a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 03:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice looking fish!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 11:46 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Hey wadman I talked to you the one day you were down fishing and had your son with you. I'm the guy that was down working on a duck blind. You told me how good the bass were biting and showed me a picture of the big one you caught. Just thought it was funny that I saw your post on here after talking to you. Are you catching many since the water came up?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 05:15 AM

That's one heck of a dy, especially wading. Miss fishing that river.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Hey yhducker! Nice talking with ya. Was a pretty good day we seen ya. Not out since storms blew through. Headed out Thursday morning. Day we seen ya and one more since.

Report 9/26
Killed 'em again midday Saturday. Not able to get out till just after noon. Took the boy along seeing how shallow entire area is. Even with the high winds and difficulty we had with casting fish were on a feed. Second cast got my biggest yet. No tape today, left in trunk of car. My camera man needs a little practice.
For a size comparison cause a regular picture just did not give this fish it's due justice!-EASY 20"+

Unreal the size and numbers. Big fish on the prowl. No dinks while near white-cap conditions.-(Pic prior to high winds)

Nearing 5pm and our trip almost over the winds calmed and the river lay nearly flat. Smaller fish come out of hiding. Also managed one small 'eye. Landed well over a dozen in a few minutes.-
Overall, I was able to add 61 fish to the total for the year.

9-29
Out Tuesday prior to rains as well. Definitely a change in the patterns. On water around 8:30. Few fish hitting top water to start. Surprised to see the first 6 Fish turned out to be Large Mouths! They were very active! After that, the ones that did hit were slow takers, striking several times before a hookup. Most times just a passing splash. Switched over to a small X-rap and began getting the fish. Hit one small pocket that was full of walleye. Was able to watch them chase lure in to my feet. That's when the suspending X-rap did the trick. Final tally for the day. 37 Smallies, 8 LMB, 12 walleye sub 15"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 03:13 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Nice fish!! Seems like I need to get back on the Susq. again.

4A/5B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page