State Game lands bait? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

State Game lands bait?

Okay my buddy at work stopped and talked today. He told me that when he puts his trail camera on SGL, he mixes 3 parts vegetable oil and 1 part vanilla and sprays a small quantity on a log or vegetation in front of his camera to position the deer. I told him that I didn't think that was legal. His defensive reply "Why not it is not salt or bait." Is it legal

Does anyone else have any tricks to position deer that are legal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: State Game lands bait?

What is the tinks stuff that smells lime licorice made out of? If there is no animal secretions in it I would assume it would fall under the same category as the oil and vanilla. JMO

But my opinion is not the law...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Dirt. Deer can't pass up fresh dirt.

It's a good spot. Just not today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 02:06 AM

huntsolo: Just a suggestion: 1)contact your DNR or Conservation Officer explaining what you would like to do and in what area to see if this is legal. In my opinion, it would save breaking the law or having cameras confiscated etc. if this is illegal. 2)if legal find out if a letter of permission etc. is required and if cameras etc. are allowed in a particular time frame. Good luck.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 10:48 AM

Why doesn`t one of the GWs that visit this site give us their opinion of this subject.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

its not illegal this time of the year... but all salt licks,supplements, attractants must be removed 30 days prior to opening day of Archery
and through out the entire hunting season. Its a gray area.. you may use animal scents to fool or attract deer but not a food source..
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Banned

Nope, wrong, it is illegal to put bait on game lands at any time of the year for any reason, the 30 days is the legnth of time that must pass after all traces of bait and its residue is remove before hunting an area. From the digest, page 17:
<span style="font-weight: bold">"Scents and lures that contain any form of natural or artificial food stuff, including but not limited to, corn, apple and acorns are not legal". </span> The subject of this thread is bait on game lands, remember, the use of any secnt or lure is unlawful to use for bear hunting any time and anywhere.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

From the state game lands regulations: It is unlawful to Feed wildlife or place any food, fruit, hay, grain, chemicals, salt or other minerals.

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 12:46 PM
The Man

To add to Takem's reply which is correct that it is unlawful:

135.41. State game lands

(c) Additional prohibitions. In addition to the prohibitions contained in the act pertaining to State game lands and 135.2, except with the written permission of the Director, it is unlawful to

(12) Feed wildlife or lay or place any food, fruit, hay, grain, chemical, salt or other minerals

Putting Resource First
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
Nope, wrong, it is illegal to put bait on game lands at any time of the year for any reason, the 30 days is the legnth of time that must pass after all traces of bait and its residue is remove before hunting an area.
Can you clarify this? I didn't understand what you wrote. If it is illegal at any time of the year, how can it be legal if it is removed 30 days prior to hunting in that location. So, if you bait it's illegal. Why would you then remove it since you already broke the law?

The SGL regs seem pretty straight forward. No cloudy water there.

I only small game and waterfowel hunt, so this dosent really pertain to me. But if some one asks I would like to have a rational answer. Thanks for the clarification.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page