Trail Cam beginner - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Trail Cam beginner

Thinking about purchasing my first camera and was just wondering about theft. When you purchase the camera then the protective bear box and security lock you do have a small investment. I would hate to then have it stolen. I hunt on state game lands and plan on using the camera to help with bear scouting. I do hunt far from the parking areas, some times an hour or more walk in.

Hunting Success "Nature will teach you but you must spend time in her classroom"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 10:49 PM

Re: Trail Cam beginner

After reading story after story on here, your best bet is to pray it doesn't get stolen.
I've heard a dozen or so stories of people having them stolen off their own properties. Expect the unexpected...

PSE Omen
*HHA 0L-5019
*QAD HD
2A
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thank you G.C. That's sorta why I have not purchased one already. I'm lucky I haven't lost a tree stand yet but have heard stories of others losing them. I tend to put them up just prior to the season and take them down as quick as possible.

Hunting Success "Nature will teach you but you must spend time in her classroom"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 10:26 AM

Lets' hope that you are one of the lucky ones . I had 4 stands and a trail camera stolen off of private land . The stands were hang on types with cables and no steps up to them . Thieves will find a way I am afraid . Best of luck with the camera and hunting seasons ahead . Just do your best at camouflage setup .

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

Same here. Had several cameras stolen though. All of which were chained with locks.

The best thing you can do is place a camera well off the beaten path. Don't place them on logging roads, trails, shooting lanes or anywhere that makes walking easier for someone. Find a really dense area with a deer trail leading to/from a bedding area and set up there.

The bear boxes are a nice touch but anyone with a pair of bolt cutters can snag them up fast. I still advize you to chain up your cameras but use some spray paint to camo the chain.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thank you very much to all of you this site has a wealth of information. I think I will just do my scouting the old fashion way. The cameras are nice but I just can't take the chance. I don't know why people have to take other peoples things any way. I see a lot in the woods I just move on. Why take someones hard earned hunting gear?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Part of the Community

Couple good suggestions here. Another someone said before is to place them as high as you can looking down. Guess people tend not to look up high. I know of someone who is making a fake looking rock to put his in. Would think the same thing with a hollowed out log near a tree so you can still python lock it to the tree but have the cam hidden. Seems ashame like said that locks only keep honest people honest.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to bpshorty_9

I've stumbled apon quite a few cameras in the woods and let them be... I've had 4 cameras stolen, only one of which was locked up in a bear box. They simply cut the tree and took the camera. Hiding then as best you can is definitely the best defense

There's nothing like a day in the woods.....

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

camo camo camo. and put them off the beaten path is your best bet. But if someone wants it bad enough they will find a way to get it.

Ill stop hunting when they pry the gun from my COLD DEAD HANDS.
Member of the PPHA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page