First Trail Cam, Set Up Advice? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

First Trail Cam, Set Up Advice?

I had a couple hundred bucks in Cabelas gift cards from Christmas bunring a hole in my wallet. So I bought my first trail camera today. I got a Moultrie M80 on the advice of many folks here. (Thanks by the way.) I also bought the companion security box and a python cable lock. Any advice on setting this thing up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 10:35 PM

Re: First Trail Cam, Set Up Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WexfordBowhunter
I had a couple hundred bucks in Cabelas gift cards from Christmas bunring a hole in my wallet. So I bought my first trail camera today. I got a Moultrie M80 on the advice of many folks here. (Thanks by the way.) I also bought the companion security box and a python cable lock. Any advice on setting this thing up?
My trail cameras are set up as follows:
1)do not face into the rising or setting sun due to over exposure(redness or whiteout).
2)set approximately 3- 4 feet high, facing along a trail. Most cameras go into a sleep mode to save battery power. Facing along the trail gives the camera time to wake up. If permitted the camera can face a bait (no baiting allowed in my areas, unless bear hunting).
3)if permitted, lag bolt the security box to a good size tree. Small trees will move in the wind. I put a large flat washer inside the box on each lag bolt to re inforce the box. The security boxes built for the Moultrie M80 & M100 are well designed.
4)Moultrie cameras, when set to video, take a picture first, then the video. The field of view is narrower in the video than in the picture. Moultrie night video is limited to 10 second.
5)if your camera is set for picture and you don't seem to get any animals but still the camera is taking pictures, set the camera to video. The video will pick up waving grass, tree branches etc. that may have to be trimmed.
I have the Moultrie M100 which is a higher version of the M80 and am well satisfied with it except for: a)too short of night video time, but Moultrie said, extending this would be harder on batteries. b)in my opinion the audio for the most part isn't worth the extra money. It is very sensitive to wind noise. If you are lucky enough to catch bucks fighting, or turkeys gobbling, fine, but you only get this if your camera is set for video. Enjoy your camera.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page