Learned from 18,000 T Cam photos - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Born2Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Learned from 18,000 T Cam photos

Waited three weeks to run my trail cams....Too long with bait.

As usual I put out minature salt blocks at each camera as a reward to the deer for coming in to have their photographs taken. I use a cut piece of the small mineral blocks which are about 3X1 1/2X1/2."

The blocks are usually gone after three week with heavy traffic or less if the raccoons carry them off. I then relocate my cam as needed in an effort to close in and learn the travel patterns without any form of bait...trying to catch interesting bucks in their natural routines.

I use a camera to check my photos on site to determine my next camera move(s) and view what is out there. I set my cams on a three shot burst, because I like to get a good look at the antlers to determine repeats from different cam locations.

However, I had out 12 cams and some had over 2,000 pictures with the least one 500+. This takes a long time at each cam to review each and every picture. Plus my camera does not have the capacity to work if there are too many pictures on one CD card. Says BUSY and doesn't stop after 15-20 minutes.

One cam had 2,300+ pictures all were does in a location in which over the last few years had produced a few bucks with potential in years to come?? Where did they go???? Basically I had a couple of fair 8 pointers and one nice wide spread 10 pointer, but as is the norm in my location the longest tines 8"+-.

I did have 4 different people total on two of the cams. Two of the appeared to be prepared to dig ginseng. It appears only one saw a cam and that is questionable on the three pictures??

I reset my cams without bait now on two shot burst and will run them in the next 10 days or two weeks with a couple of more relocations before the opener. I try to get in and out just before a rain.

Things I noticed from the 18,000+- photo's some doe appeared very fat while a few were on the slim side, some still have their red coat while other seem to be shedding for their winter coat, there were several fawns with spots, the bucks were running solo vs the normal buck groups I often get this time of the year. Also deer came into the cams on the first day they were set out. I also had a lot less than norm photo's of raccoons and turkeys.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If your cams are in PA, i wonder if those guys you assumed were going for ginseng know it that doesnt start until sept 1st. Man 18000 pictures is a lot to go through

4B
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231 View Post
If your cams are in PA, i wonder if those guys you assumed were going for ginseng know it that doesnt start until sept 1st. Man 18000 pictures is a lot to go through
Good question.....One had an army pick and a plastic bag. The other one a plastic bag with a towel hanging out. Not sure what they were up to....planting/watering a crop of something???? I didn't recognize any of the people. One older gentlemen was with a very young girl perhaps 4-5 and they were a good walk from a road and walking a deer trail. Perhaps a grand daughter????
Bend52 likes this.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have 20 out and I know what you mean. Takes a half day just to view them. I keep 14 at places year round and move the other ones when I see a new trail or want to figure which way they're moving. And batteries for them are pretty pricey too.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnort1 View Post
I have 20 out and I know what you mean. Takes a half day just to view them. I keep 14 at places year round and move the other ones when I see a new trail or want to figure which way they're moving. And batteries for them are pretty pricey too.
Batteries and CD cards are $$ also I like to have spare batteries and 2 sets of CD cards so I can replace the cards and take them home to review on a larger screen than I have on my portable camera I carry. I also have all my cameras, locks, security boxes and CD cards numbered so I can keep a list of what I have where to be certain I am knowledgable of the area of the pictures.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 09:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I Have 24 that I run all year except rifle bear and deer season ! I run mine all on video except 4 are on 3 burst mode. I know what you mean about the batteries and SD cards ! I buy mine off Ebay in bulk for the batteries like 144 at a time. The SD cards I buy in 10 packs and they are refurbished. I've never had a problem with them ! I usually have from several videos to around 300 on each card ! It takes all day to look at them all but I get allot of info on them !

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 10:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLAB View Post
I Have 24 that I run all year except rifle bear and deer season ! I run mine all on video except 4 are on 3 burst mode. I know what you mean about the batteries and SD cards ! I buy mine off Ebay in bulk for the batteries like 144 at a time. The SD cards I buy in 10 packs and they are refurbished. I've never had a problem with them ! I usually have from several videos to around 300 on each card ! It takes all day to look at them all but I get allot of info on them !
I use Ebay too. Does help save money.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

I carry extra SD cards with me and swap them out if there are a lot of pictures. Then I go through them at home in the comfort of my recliner.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Me too but a need a several more CD cards.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member

Last edited by Born2Hunt; 09-02-2019 at 12:25 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I just bought a battery tester. I was looking at spending another $50 on batteries and was messing with some in the battery charger and it was saying they were good. I ended up with over 100 batteries that were still at 80% or better. It paid for itself the first day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page