Trail Cam invention - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Trail Cam invention

Who invented the Trail Cam?

The latest issue of the Pa. Game News has a great article about how George Shiras pioneer the first night photos of Deer.
This all started with Shiras's love of the outdoors more than 100 years ago!
Born in Allegheny, Pa, George Shiras is recognized as the first to set up cameras to take photographs of wildlife automatically.

Great read. Thanks Pennsylvania Game News
bohunr and ShedSeeker like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Before trail cams...
The first trail thing I used was a timer. I don't recall the year. Anyone remember these gadgets? Been a long time ago.
I attached trip wire to other side of trail.
Gadget would record time string was tripped. No pictures, just the time. Primitive nowadays, but that's all we had.
I used mine for predator movement. Setting trip wire lower for Fox & Coon. But a Deer could also trip timer. So numbers varied and I quickly realized it wasn't too useful for my purpose. Gave it to Brother in Law, who used it for scouting Archery Deer movement, way back then.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 10:04 AM
Part of the Community

Had a bunch of those trail timers. Used to set them on trails coming to the hay fields. the problem was you never knew what pulled the trip string. back in the day that was all we had and our own knewledge. set on them fields many evenings to see what come out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hern View Post
Before trail cams...
The first trail thing I used was a timer. I don't recall the year. Anyone remember these gadgets? Been a long time ago.
Gadget would record time string was tripped. No pictures, just the time. Primitive nowadays, but that's all we had.
I used mine for predator movement. Setting trip wire lower for Fox & Coon. But a Deer could also trip timer. So numbers varied and I quickly realized it wasn't too useful for my purpose. Gave it to Brother in Law, who used it for scouting Archery Deer movement, way back then.
My Uncle told me about those when I first started archery hunting.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Before trail cams...

Had two. Tried setting it high enough that deer only would trip it. Guesstimate at best as to what tripped it.

Was really glad when 35mm trail cams came out. I had a deal with the local photo developer that they would charge me only for the pictures that were developed. Something like $.25/picture. There were a lot of blanks. Maybe 5-10 actual pictures in a roll of film. Sometimes 0.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
The Man

...the problem was you never knew what pulled the trip string.
LOL...exactly. The latest technology
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:03 PM
Part of the Community

Back in the 60's my grandfather had a trigger stick on his cameras (still and 8 mm) set up to catch birds at his feeders on film. I'm sure he wasn't the first, but .....

Find the time.....
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I've been on this site since it started...
Years ago, a member on this site made and sold trail cams to other members.
Does anyone remember who that was and what year?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:06 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Before trail cams...
Like you I used trail timers made by Game Tracker ( I set them high enough off the ground that only bucks would trip them)
But to answer your question, Game Tracker also introduced the first trail camera to the market.
I bought one as soon as it hit the stores, it was 2 olive green plastic platforms with 4 large black screws and wing nuts and you put a 35 MM. camera ( that you supplied) in between the 2 plastic platforms and used the screws to adjust it and fit it to your camera.
The front and back of it was exposed to the elements. Then Camtracker & Buckshot 35 came out with models that came with a camera and had a case to protect it. ( I bought both of those as well)

PETA hates me, but I'm okay with that......
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:08 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
I've been on this site since it started...
Years ago, a member on this site made and sold trail cams to other members.
Does anyone remember who that was and what year?
There was a couple guys but Todd Plank was the main guy.

PETA hates me, but I'm okay with that......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page