What cam to buy? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

What cam to buy?

I’m looking to add 6 to 8 new cams to my arsenal to aid in scouting for next year. What’s decent? I don’t really want anything crazy as these are going to have a fair chance of being stolen. So $100 or less would be optimal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 04:40 AM
New Arrival

Here is my photos, I think they are in good quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007hunter View Post
Iím looking to add 6 to 8 new cams to my arsenal to aid in scouting for next year. Whatís decent? I donít really want anything crazy as these are going to have a fair chance of being stolen. So $100 or less would be optimal.
Christmas is coming, since you missed the black friday, so maybe you can buy WingHome trail camera this Christmas holiday, they will be promotions online, and these are photos taken by my winghome camera, they are very good!

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 12:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Richard T I don't see any pics or videos ! I also looked for your pics in the other thread and no pic !! unless something is wrong with my computer !!

007 Hunter I would look at the Moultrie W40i I have 14 Moultrie cams and love them ! You can buy them off of Ebay for around $80 and they have allot more options as to pics, videos and delay settings. They also have a detection range of 80', have a 0.3 second trigger speed,18 mp and come with a 2 year warranty !! They have very good quality pics and videos !! Plus the customer service you get from them is second to none !!!

Blend in or go hungry !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 04:17 PM
Part of the Community

A couple things to consider: 1) $100 for just the camera? I ask because I have a package for each of my camera's - 2 SD cards ($12), 2 sets (16) Eneloop rechargeable batteries ($40), Python Lock ($20), security box ($35). You can eliminate the rechargeables ($40 each) and figure on spending about $30 on 48 batteries which will power 6 cameras. So, before the camera you're at $107 per camera You can 'get away' without the security box and the batteries, but you're still at $37 before camera. Anyway, that all aside, I have Primos, Covert, Moultrie, Cuddybak, and Stealthcam. (Had WGI and won't have another). Bang for my buck are the Primos Proof 1 Gen 2 when they are on sale. I got a few of them last year for $30 after a rebate, but you can generally get them around $50 from Dicks or F&S. They are simple to use, take great pictures and have a good trigger speed. The Stealthcams I have are white flash and take nice color night pictures, but they are at or over $100 each, you can't use rechargeables, and the battery life isn't the longest. I liked my Moultrie cams until I had an issue and had to deal with their CS. Not very helpful or accommodating. I've an M80XT working in the woods for about 3 years straight now, and an M880 that crapped out after a year. The Covert was their low end camera and does a decent job. It's along the same lines as the Primos, but isn't in the same league as the Primos as far as image quality, trigger speed, sensor distance, flash, etc. I bought a Cuddyback Long Range IR because of the crazy fast trigger speed and 20 mp. It is (by far) my worst camera. The only one that fogs up every morning, triggers on the slightest weed movement, takes terrible night pictures and just generally a disappointment for $150, or $100, or $50 compared to the Primos. All that being said, I would stay away from Wild Game Innovations, but look at the other known brand names and compare features. Flash distance and trigger speed are important, but so is image quality. Good luck.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 04:59 PM

tasco trail cams at walmart for 28 bucks. if they get stolen, so what. if you dont care about 600 to 800 dollars worth of gear getting stolen, could you just forget about buying the cameras and send me the 800 dollars

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 07:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I currently have 13 Bushnell trophy cams. Most came from ebay less than 100.00ea. I can get a year or more from 8 AA battery's, take great pics and video w sound. remaining cameras are Cuddebacks, they are not what they were 15 years ago.

Don't Gobble at me...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 08:39 PM
Banned

What i like best so far is browning cams.
Would never buy another cuddy. Had some good scoutguard cams a few years back. Got about 5 years from them.
Bushnell i still have 2 of them. Kind of phasing into all Brownings.
To many whiteouts and blanks from the bushnell.
The Essential i have works better then the other more expensive bushnells i have
325wsm likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
tasco trail cams at walmart for 28 bucks. if they get stolen, so what. if you dont care about 600 to 800 dollars worth of gear getting stolen, could you just forget about buying the cameras and send me the 800 dollars [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I tested one of those tasco cams out last year and it is the worst!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerno1 View Post
A couple things to consider: 1) $100 for just the camera? I ask because I have a package for each of my camera's - 2 SD cards ($12), 2 sets (16) Eneloop rechargeable batteries ($40), Python Lock ($20), security box ($35). You can eliminate the rechargeables ($40 each) and figure on spending about $30 on 48 batteries which will power 6 cameras. So, before the camera you're at $107 per camera [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] You can 'get away' without the security box and the batteries, but you're still at $37 before camera. Anyway, that all aside, I have Primos, Covert, Moultrie, Cuddybak, and Stealthcam. (Had WGI and won't have another). Bang for my buck are the Primos Proof 1 Gen 2 when they are on sale. I got a few of them last year for $30 after a rebate, but you can generally get them around $50 from Dicks or F&S. They are simple to use, take great pictures and have a good trigger speed. The Stealthcams I have are white flash and take nice color night pictures, but they are at or over $100 each, you can't use rechargeables, and the battery life isn't the longest. I liked my Moultrie cams until I had an issue and had to deal with their CS. Not very helpful or accommodating. I've an M80XT working in the woods for about 3 years straight now, and an M880 that crapped out after a year. The Covert was their low end camera and does a decent job. It's along the same lines as the Primos, but isn't in the same league as the Primos as far as image quality, trigger speed, sensor distance, flash, etc. I bought a Cuddyback Long Range IR because of the crazy fast trigger speed and 20 mp. It is (by far) my worst camera. The only one that fogs up every morning, triggers on the slightest weed movement, takes terrible night pictures and just generally a disappointment for $150, or $100, or $50 compared to the Primos. All that being said, I would stay away from Wild Game Innovations, but look at the other known brand names and compare features. Flash distance and trigger speed are important, but so is image quality. Good luck.
I know you use rechargeable batteries but every year on Black Friday Lowe’s has a 36 pack of AA’s for $6. So I am well stocked for the year.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007hunter View Post
I tested one of those tasco cams out last year and it is the worst!

thank you for letting me know. i have had great luck with my primos easy cam that i got for 25.00 dollars on sale last year and was thinking the tasco might not be bad.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page