Updated Big Boy Pics - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Updated Big Boy Pics

Found him at a new location I tried. Not far from one of my stands. 11:00 to 11:13pm, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swamp lugnut (7).JPG (369.7 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg swamp lugnut (4).JPG (364.0 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg swamp lugnut (10).JPG (366.5 KB, 138 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 10:31 AM

Wow, he is wide.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 05:49 PM
Banned

awesome buck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 07:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Terrific buck. Hope you get him.

AR in all it's glory. Let them go to grow, that is what you get right there ladies and gentleman...

UBP Life Member
Full Sunday Hunting Supporter
Beyond Century mark in Bow kills.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Dang!!

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 10:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

I see alot of trail cam bucks......THAT one is impressive.

"Here are the roughs and beards and space and ruggedness and nonchalance that the soul loves"
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

My son's first year of varsity football this year. I won't be able to hunt until October 20th.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 11:30 AM
Regular Visitor

That might not be a bad thing WOL. Well bad for you, haha, but the wait might be worth it. Big boy like that will be ready for the first estrous does by the end of October. I'm a firm believer that no matter the amount of scent control procedures you go through, that big bucks know when you're there and when you're hunting them. I have nice bucks on camera all around my stands all summer and early fall and after my first sit in those stands, regardless of scent control and playing the wind, my pictures drop off. Just my opinion. Some of this is natural movement but if he has minimal human intrusion until October 20th you might up your chances. Either way I hope you connect at some point this year. I have enjoyed the last few years of pictures of him but one with you smiling behind him would be priceless.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

thebuckshow - that's actually an excellent point. Every other year, my son and I would hunt morning and evening on Saturday and be doing trail cam stuff on Sunday. And, to tell you the truth, the hunting ain't that great the first couple weeks. It's hot, it's mostly doe and small buck and only at first and last hours of light. We usually end up with a doe, either in the first 30 minutes of the day or, more commonly, the last couple hours hunting over a field. Due to all the rain, we never even planted anything, so we have a big weed field anyway.

The first time in the woods will be around 3:00pm on October 20th. Unless they win, then there's no Saturday morning practice, so maybe we go to camp late Friday night and hunt the morning.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 07:37 AM
Regular Visitor

Just some Positive food for thought buddy. Three years ago we had a great 8 point on camera all summer and early September frequenting two stand sites we have. nothing of the caliber you're after but a nice buck nonetheless. We hunted opening day and once that first week. we played the wind and used every scent control measure we could with no sightings. I didn't get another picture of that buck until October 22nd. My brother hunted a stand less than half a mile away that we hadn't given much thought to on October 28th and killed him as he followed a doe to within 15 yards. After recovering him we checked the camera we had on that stand that we hadn't checked in weeks and that buck was there almost everyday. I really believe if we had hunted that stand or checked that camera like the others he would have just moved somewhere else. It only took two times to bump him to the other end of the hollow and he stayed because no one bothered him, In my opinion anyways. The funny part was the wind was totally wrong to hunt that stand that morning but my brother was running late and didn't want to mess my dad and I up on the other end of the hollow so he went there instead.

Your son will never get his football years back, so its a worthy sacrifice. And just think of how many does that big boy has bred in the last 4 years haha. I'll still be looking for a picture of you holding him. Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page