Hiding Trailcam - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Hiding Trailcam

Just got a Browning HD Pro trailcam. It is pricey but I want to use the pictures for my art. Needless to say, I don't want the camera stolen.

To prevent theft, I wanted to use a security box with a lock and camouflage the rig as best I could. I looked on the internet and there were some tips. I decided to devise my own method.

The Browning is a very small camera. I ordered a security box for it from Trailcam Pro. Next, I went into woods and got some pieces of bark. They are easy to find. A lot of ash trees died because of the emerald ash borer. When the tree dies, the bark tends to separate and is easy to peel off. I used a different tree that was hit by lightning but anything will work as long as it is not falling apart.

Once I had the bark I did some test fitting to see how best to adhere it to the security box. There are very few straight lines in nature so I left a ragged end when I cut the bark. I used a hot glue gun to adhere it to the security case.

I got a Python cable to lock the box to a tree but I was afraid it would be too easy to cut the cable. I ended up getting a chain and a pad lock. The MasterLock with a 5 1/2 inch shackle to goes through the security case and secures the chain.

The chain is actually taken from an old tire chain so it wasn't shiny. I still wanted to camouflage it though. Before Christmas, a neighbor threw out an artificial tree. I grabbed it from the trash and cut all the branches off. I mixed different colors and painted each branch with a tooth brush for an irregular color effect. The Christmas tree branches work great because you can bend them and form them around the chain and they hold their shape.

There is a picture below that shows the case open with the bark glued on. There is also a picture with the case closed and the chain with Christmas tree branches. The last photo shows the rig in the woods. I put it on a maple tree so the bark doesn't match very well. Still, I think the colors and the 3D effect of the bark and the Christmas tree branches give this rig a natural looking appearance.

I put this close to my house. If I move it to an area with more people around I made a small ladder so I can hang the unit out of reach. It's a shame that you have to go through so much to stop theft. I'm just hoping that no one bothers the camera and I get some good pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TrailCam_6293.JPG (182.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg TrailCam_6291.JPG (198.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg TrailCam_6300.JPG (278.0 KB, 55 views)
DucHunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 09:37 PM

thanks for the information, sounds like a good idea
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 01:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

you went through all that camoflauging and then put it on a smooth barked tree ? I think it probably makes it stick out even more now ! What I have done in the past is find a uprooted tree and dig out a small spot in the root system and hide the camera back into it !
Good Luck with it not getting stolen ! I've been running 12 cameras on public ground for years and hide them good and have never had one stolen (knock on wood) just put them in out of the way places off the beaten path !!
Laylow likes this.

Blend in or go hungry !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I walk this woodlot by my house everyday with my dog. Didn't see any other tracks when there was snow on the ground so I am almost certain that no one will happen onto this setup. Plus, if someone does go through, they would need very heavy bolt cutters to take the camera.

I picked this tree because it has a lot of deer trails and it faces north. I didn't want the camera facing into sun at dawn or dusk.

Nothing is certain but I am comfortable with the setup.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 06:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good luck. Never underestimate the power of theft here in Pa.

It does stick out more though...
Dogface and Laylow like this.

UBP Life Member
Full Sunday Hunting Supporter
Beyond Century mark in Bow kills.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 07:16 PM

Looks neat. I've always had great luck keeping my cams up 10ft angled down without a lockbox. I also use no strap mounts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 09:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good idea but i would put it on a tree with similar bark to your camera, IMO really sticks out like others have said.

4B
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 11:13 PM

Agree. Sticks out more. You're kinda shafted by ONE real tree there. Almost better off digging out an old stump an placing on the ground.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

So I went to check on camera tonight. Walked down trail, looked over at tree. Gone. The camera wasn't there!

I looked around in a panic to see if it had fallen off the tree. I was upset and angry. I was cussing as I walked away and then I saw it. I was looking at the wrong tree at first. I think the camo treatment worked. I knocked the snow off and left it there.

Does anyone do anything to keep snow and rain off the camera? Any comments or suggestions?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 08:31 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_pilgrim View Post
So I went to check on camera tonight. Walked down trail, looked over at tree. Gone. The camera wasn't there!

I looked around in a panic to see if it had fallen off the tree. I was upset and angry. I was cussing as I walked away and then I saw it. I was looking at the wrong tree at first. I think the camo treatment worked. I knocked the snow off and left it there.

Does anyone do anything to keep snow and rain off the camera? Any comments or suggestions?
Over the past few years I've been mounting my camera as high as I can reach then angle it down, it's worked pretty well from snow accumulating on the camera face and lens, and the deer don't pick up the RED glow during night pics. I hacked my on tree camera mount with two EYE bolts 1 with lag threads and 1 with machine threads bolted them together thru the eye ends.. screw the lag end to tree and thread camera on the machined end MY cams are Bushnells that have a bottom thread base. works great for about $4 Home Depot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page