Cellular Trail Cam - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Cellular Trail Cam

Anyone use the cellular trail cams, if so any advice on which brands to buy or stay away from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 10:27 PM
Regular Visitor

The first thing to consider before buying a cellular trail camera is to determine what , if any, signal you get on the property/location where you plan to use the camera. I have personal experience with the moultrie mv1 modem which uses Verizon for service and the Covert Code Black 12.0 which uses at&t for service. I like both of them, but there are pros and cons to each which I have posted about before. There are a lot of other brands out there as well, and some such as Covert have different models for at&t or Verizon. You may want to check on Trailcampro as they give pretty detailed reviews on cellular cameras.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 08:00 AM
Regular Visitor

Forgot to mention the Cuddelink system from Cuddeback has me intrigued. I am waiting on more reviews on them. I like the concept, especially for properties farther away. To have the ability to have one home cell camera to send all the pictures from every camera would be awesome. I have read battery life is not great. Every cell camera is harder on batteries, but some are worse than others. Considering the Cuddelink system sends a thumbnail version of the picture from camera to camera via radio signal I can see that eating up batteries. Plus I know how our 2 way radios work on our property and it would take a lot of cameras or relays to get coverage in certain areas. The battery issue is not a deal breaker for me as I would have no issue setting up an external battery system. For now I will stick with the current fleet of cameras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

We have good signal where we hunt so i am thinking about making a live feed camera to see whats happening where i hunt when i am not there, i will probably build it with a small solar panel to keep the battery charged
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 06:59 PM
Regular Visitor

Depending on who you are using for your personal plan may impact your camera decision. Some of the cameras, allow you to add the camera to your personal plan which could be cheaper annually.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcrazy View Post
Forgot to mention the Cuddelink system from Cuddeback has me intrigued. I am waiting on more reviews on them. I like the concept, especially for properties farther away. To have the ability to have one home cell camera to send all the pictures from every camera would be awesome. I have read battery life is not great. Every cell camera is harder on batteries, but some are worse than others. Considering the Cuddelink system sends a thumbnail version of the picture from camera to camera via radio signal I can see that eating up batteries. Plus I know how our 2 way radios work on our property and it would take a lot of cameras or relays to get coverage in certain areas. The battery issue is not a deal breaker for me as I would have no issue setting up an external battery system. For now I will stick with the current fleet of cameras.

I am intrigued as well. Not for the cell capability as our camp doesn't have cell coverage, but just to be able to send all the pics back to one camera. Could put the home camera by the cabin and then can check them all with one pull. Would be great for during season use when I want to check the cameras on Friday night before hunting Saturday. Don't need to disturb anything to do it.

I am hoping maybe someone else will come out with a similar setup this year. One way or another I will be buying the Cuddeback or something similar.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run N Gun View Post
We have good signal where we hunt so i am thinking about making a live feed camera to see whats happening where i hunt when i am not there, i will probably build it with a small solar panel to keep the battery charged
If you are meaning live like where you could peek in anytime of the day, I would thing the data plan may be expensive unless you have an unlimited plan. Not sure on that. If you do something like this please post up your results.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 08:13 PM

we have the hyper fire cell cameras. my only disappointment is how unreliable the pictures are at going thru. last year 99% went thru and you got the failure text 1 or 2 times a week. this year 75% do not go thru and I blocked the text do to 20+a day. cameras are at the same spot. Do to not going thru batteries are burning out quickly even with solar panel.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I have a list of parts I need, but am currently looking for good used parts cheap. It wouldn't be any different than home security cameras people to see whats happening at home on their smart phones or tablets, just have to figure a cost effective way to get the signal from the camera to my tablet, i will have to look into the price of an air card. If it works I may get disappointed when I'm at work and turn the camera on and see a big buck in front of my stand.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcrazy View Post

I just ordered a 4 pack of Cuddelink cameras from SG. With the current double discount for members they were a good deal. I will see how well they work.
ruger_357 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page