Disguising a trail cam? Skins/painting etc - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By capt rudy
  • 1 Post By Wald Jager
  • 1 Post By 171farm

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Disguising a trail cam? Skins/painting etc

I'm looking for ideas on how to disguise some trail cams.

I do not like to have things stolen so the last one I had was camo and nestled in pretty good among some leaves and brush. It was i think around $100. That one was not stolen but fell apart after multiple years.

I was able to get a heck of a deal on Primos Truth Cam 02, but they are that horrible solid green. ($30 each NEW, private msg me if you want details..the special is still going on) Hit or miss on reliability, but well see.
Anyway, i know i can use a sharpie or some adhesive sticker paint etc. What has worked the best for you? I'm not too keen on doing the whole 3D thing with liquid nails etc.

Do they make fake treebark shingles? lol

Any and all ideas appreciated. I know i have to do something as with the green...its not going to last out there..but couldnt pass up the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 04:56 PM

Just saw something on UTUBE where the guy hot glued real bark on his camera and it looked pretty good
Dogface and Marcus99 like this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 07:32 PM
cm9
Hooked on HuntingPa

Google trail cam liquid nails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 11:44 PM

Some thoughts: Don't put T cams on or near easy people travel routes. What gives away T cams the most is not the cam themselves but the horizontal straps around the tree...work to get the cam AND the straps to blend to the supporting tree color.

Place cams in areas where they can't be seen from long distance rather place them in areas where there is cover requiring one to be very close to see them. Don't mount them at eye level. Don't cut any more brush around them than necessary for them to function properly.

Don't mark your trail to them in anyway unless you use rocks, limbs or something natural.

Do not tell anyone you have cams out.

Don't put them near a tree stand where people might to think to look for cams.

Try some identifying markings on the cams so you can recognize them as only yours should you need to identify them at the police station should they be recovered as stolen items or you find them being used by others in another location. I engrave my military number on mine. If you engrave them don't use numbers indicating 1,2 & 3 indicating to the thief you may have more in the area.

Good luck.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 10:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use small bungees and often cover the bungee with leaves. It does look silly but Iím not trying to disguise what others see but trying to prevent others from seeing it.

I used to paint the black straps. It didnít matter, they are still too noticeable.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 10:22 AM
The Man

I put mine about 10 feet high in a tree since having one stolen last year. Get some really good pics of other people walking by that don't look up. Most people are looking at ground level so they don't trip over anything. Just ask any deer, they watch people walk by looking at the ground all the time!

Bigfoot saw me but nobody believes him!
5D
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 11:33 AM
Frequent Contributor

I use camo ductape to cover mine.... then place them either in the 1 to 2 foot high range, or in the 8 to 10 foot range.... At 1 to 2 foot you can place some laydowns around the camera to hide it ( But picture angle isn't the greatest in some cases ), where as the 8 to 10 foot range will usually keep most people from even noticing them ( unless they are small game hunting ) and will give a good angle on a buck's rack.
Truth is, nothing you can do will completely keep your cameras safe. I've even considered cutting and hollowing out some logs to put cameras inside.... Just not really worth all the effort!
Another decent method would be in using hemlock trees as they give a lot of cover ( downside though will be wind triggers ).
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 12:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have used gorilla glue which expands when dampend. Mask off lenses and infareds, mist camera with water, dribble glue on,not heavy ,it will expand and leave a textured surface. Spritz with camo paint. I did sevral this way and looks like bark.
Dogface likes this.

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 12:27 PM
Part of the Community

I use locking cables .
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 12:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie K View Post
I use locking cables .
Only deters the lazy/honest thief. Couldn't find our keys and it took me seconds to cut one off with a battery operated sawzall, also cut one off with a hacksaw and it was remarkably easy.
illadelphia215 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page