Moultrie M80 XD - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Moultrie M80 XD

Mine is starting to act funny. It seems like it chews through the batteries in a couple weeks on picture mode....only after a few hundred photos. Also had some detection range issues this year but a factory reset got it back out to about 33 feet detection range. This was my go to cam for reliability and it has finally let me down. Anyone else experience this or offer suggestions?

TRUMP '16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 07:53 AM
Frequent Contributor

yea....I called them i gave them a piece of my mind about the junk and they offed a coupon.....-- i paid for it to last more than a year so I junked mine and use it as theiving bait to see who might steal a junk camera..
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 08:10 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Not that brand, but the last one I had that did that I sold on craigslist for cheap. I advertised it as such and had a guy more than happy to have it. He only runs cams for a week or two so it was no big deal to him that the batteries didn't last longer. Not the help you're looking for, but there is a market for it if you can't fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Teeny View Post
yea....I called them i gave them a piece of my mind about the junk and they offed a coupon.....-- i paid for it to last more than a year so I junked mine and use it as theiving bait to see who might steal a junk camera..
Which model? What went bad on the cam?

TRUMP '16
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 08:57 AM
Sage

I dont have that model, but neither of my Moultries have battery issues.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 09:52 AM
Regular Visitor

They have been really reliable cameras for us. Although I will admit this year we had one that failed completely and another one appears that either the flash has failed or the sensor indicating to switch to flash failed. Overall can't complain too much about them. Have had 9 cameras last 6 years.

I am no expert, but you may want to try and update firmware if you did a factory reset. That may help with the battery issue.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

We have to send all 4 of our new Moultries back. We bought 4 of the 1100i cams this past spring. The detection range on them is pitiful. One of them only detects to 18 feet.

TRUMP '16
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 09:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have 11 Moultries and I finally had one go bad this year ! I have 4 M-80 black flash cams, I had 2 M-990I (one went bad this year) I have 3 M-990I gen2 cams and I just bought 2 M-999I and I hadn't had any problems with any of them until about a month ago my one 990I went bad but it is several yrs old and I run my cameras yr round !

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 08:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My first camera was a Moultrie. I never realized how much they stink until I switched brands. The detection range on mine, same as above, was pitiful. Slow trigger speed, junk. Switched to stealth cam and browning and haven't looked back.

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 01:24 PM
New Arrival

I've had good success with Moultries more so than the Bushnells I owned. I'm not a big of the A20, seems like there is a delay before it detects and takes a pictures. However, no complaints regarding the others I have (A5 Gen2, P-150, M-40, M888i) The 2year Moultrie warranty and price point is appealing as well. I have a new Browning Strike Force to tryout whenever I get the time. Seems like every make/model has a handful negative reviews anymore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page