Bushnell Essential and Aggressor first impressions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Recently, I bought some new trail cams. I got them at Dicks, during their sale and trade in deal. I got two Bushnell Essential E3' and one Bushnell Agressor. Dicks was offering $30 off, plus another $30 off for trading in in another camera ...and I had coupons for $10 and $20 off. I got the Essentials for $59 each and the Aggressor for $79.

Anyhow, I've had them out for a couple weeks. Here is what I have experienced. They both take fantastic Quality video with audio. The Essential films in 720p and the Aggressor in 1080p. I have only used the cameras in video mode.

Here are the issues I have noticed. Some of these can be attributed to user error. Here we go!

The set up is easier on the Essential. You have to remember to click OK after setting date and time or it will not be saved.

It is very easy to forget to switch the camera on into armed mode. Twice, I returned days later to find camera was still in set up mode. Very easy to forget to switch.

The Aggressor batteries lasted about 3 weeks. They claim up to I year with Lithium, 6 months with alkaline. Mine were Alkaline.

The Aggressor does not have programmable video length, the Essential does. The Aggressor will keep videoing as long as there is movement up to 2 minutes. Some of my videos seemed too short.

These cameras don't seem to live up to the trigger speed rating. Many videos start when the deer is already close to the camera. Possibly the PIR really doesn't detect movement at the 100ft they claim. I do not know. Just that deer seem to be in the face of the camera before video starts when set aiming down the trail. It could be the the sensor's field of view is not very wide. I just don't know.

Nite time video seems pretty good being able to see very well.

On the Essential cam, I get videos that are corrupted that won't open but other videos are fine. I don't understand that. Out of maybe 15 clips, 3 or 4 are corrupted.

That is my first impressions. All I can say is, I'm glad I didn't pay the full price of $129 and $159.

Here is a video I put together featuring some clips from my trail cams. Other cameras used were. WGI Terra6 and Muddy Pro Cam. You can compare the footage here
https://youtu.be/NeYOTSr9bbY

Last edited by Windwalker7; 08-29-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 08:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I also got a few of the E3's. I've only checked one so far and I was less than impressed. The E2's were great cameras. It seems like the general consensus is the E3 is a step backward and so far I would agree.

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 10:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

Don't know.... I saw nothing wrong with any of those videos clips. Other than the cameras seem to be set up too close to the trails on several.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 06:51 PM
Banned

Yeah I'm going away from bushnell to browning. Have a trophy cam an essential and an agressor.
The cheaper essential does the best of all three. The agressor does terrible in the woods dark pics and grainey. It does do ok along a field. Trophy cam white outs all the time especially during the prime time to take pics. The essential has done well for me but none of them do as well as my 2 browning cams. I have been running them all for the last couple years. Not half the issues with browning.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 01:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

I've found that the white-outs on my Trophy Cam's were from me aiming it toward either the sunrise or sunset - But you can also get that effect from aiming it toward an opening where it's a lot brighter than the surrounding woods. And my Aggressor does just as good in the woods. But then, all my Bushnell's are the older 8mp cameras.... I'd love to get some of the newer ones to try out - the 20mp and 26mp should be cool and clear pics!
Just like I bought a Tactacam 4.0 for self filming my hunts this year ( ran me $340 ), but quickly realized that it really is only suited for being on a firearm as the zoom makes it a little too focused. Coarse it IS made for hunting and to actually see the impact of the arrow or bullet - and for that it is perfect! But I had to buy a 2nd camera for the action shots like tracking, hiking in to the stand, and even capturing the overall view from the stand. For that I went with an Ion Air Pro Lite ( ran me $40 )........ Side by side I tested the Ion, Tactacam, and a GoPro: of the 3, the Tactacam has the best closeup. But the Ion has the best low-light filming.... And the GoPro came in last in all tests. SO, with that said: sometimes it's definitely not a bad idea to go cheaper!!!!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Are you mounting that air pro lite to a bow? If so how are you doing that? Never heard of them but looked them up and now considering it instead of a tactacam.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 05:40 AM
Frequent Contributor

Windwalker7, Don't go with the Ion for on your bow... It'll make the animals look pretty far away and won't give you the impact shots your gonna want. The Ion is for all my secondary footage... You really can't beat the Tactacam for primary footage! I personally have my Tactacam 4.0 hooked right to my bow - and i'm running the Ion on a head mount. The Tactacam picks up the point of impact shots while the Ion gets the bow actually releasing the arrow and shows the area around me.
So my thoughts are this: Get the Tactacam and mount it to your bow or gun. But instead of paying the hundreds of dollars for GoPro's to capture your secondary footage, just go with a couple $40 Ion's.... Because just like the Tactacam's, the Ion's are waterproof without an external case. I also use my Ion for underwater shots while fishing! And as I said above, The Ion footage is actually better than the GoPro Session I tested it against!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 07:17 AM
Frequent Contributor

Here ya go WINDWALKER7.... Maybe this will help ya..... https://www.facebook.com/steven.fett...9336945463241/ ..... The impact shots are from the Tactacam, while the "Bow view" is from my head mounted Ion.... I also added a flip-up scope cover to the front of my Tactacam to keep any rain off it so I don't end up with any spots or snow on it when I go to record.

Last edited by Majik Man; 09-01-2017 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Added some info
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 09:47 AM
New Arrival

I have to Essential 3's and 1 Aggressor. I am extremely pleased with the results I have had so far. I have been running them for 1 1/2 months. No battery issues with alkaline. The only time I have a corrupted file on the essentials is always the last file. Pics and vids are very good in my opinion.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 11:10 AM
Frequent Contributor

Usually the last pic / vid ends up corrupted due to turning off the camera while it's still recording that pic / video..... other ways to have that happen are for the batteries to go dead while recording ( like on a cold night where the batteries can drop in charge - yet the charge raises during the warmer days )..... Or it could just be that the card being used needs to be re-formatted.
But overall, I love Bushnell cameras ( just not the tiny Bushnell's that Walmart sells - they're junk ).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page