Alternatives to using salt blocks? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Alternatives to using salt blocks?

What are some alternatives to placing salt blocks in front of trail cameras?

In the past I've placed salt blocks in front of my trail cameras and get about 10 times the pictures I do without the salt block. Plus the salt block tends to keep the deer around for more and better pictures. With the spread of CWD I'm concerned about using salt blocks or other baits. What are some alternatives to increase the quality and quantity of pictures without the concern of spreading diseases?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 12:08 PM

I buy the salt bricks and cut them into small pieces maybe 2X3" and move them every 2-3 weeks. Easy not to leave any salt debris behind or saturation in the soil for long term. I don't believe this is any more a gathering spot threat then a licking branch, scrape or small food plot.

My moving them I can obtain more information about deer travel than just bring them to one salt block spot that stays in one place.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

That sounds reasonable to me.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 09:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use the Trophy rock !

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 01:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

I personally just make mineral sites.... dig and break up the ground in about a 3 foot circle, then dump rocksalt and crushed trophy rock into the soil, then dig and break it all up again to mix it all in.... as for the CWD, I've found several "natural" mineral sites that the deer come to also, plus apple orchards, so my sites aren't adding any more risk than what nature already has out there!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:58 AM

Majik: Question how do you remove the rock salt from the soil before hunting season so you are not hunting a baited area? I have seen locations where a salt block was set and the deer dug in it for a few years.

Years ago when I used half pieces of salt bricks I sat them on 5 gal. can lids in an attempt to contain the salt residue.

Last edited by Born2Hunt; 06-18-2017 at 11:12 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:42 AM
Frequent Contributor

Frankly you can never remove the salt and minerals from the soil completely. So after discussing this problem with a warden, we came to this idea... Stop adding any minerals or salt atleast 2 months prior to season (I usually only ad my minerals and salt once - right after season ends), let the deer dig and eat the soil till about 2 weeks before season, then go in and completely fill in the hole with dirt and both branches and rocks ( will help keep the deer from digging it back open ).... then after the season ends: go in and dig out all the branches and rock - and ad your minerals and salt..... since I start my sites by digging the Ground about a foot deep anyway, the majority of the mineral and salt actually seeps downward instead of outward. Makes it a lot easier to fill in when needed.
When filling in the site: I usually fill it 3/4 with dirt, then a good layer of sticks and logs (sometimes a piece of plastic), then stack rocks the rest of the way. Which is easy since I tend to put my sites relatively close to a stream or spring.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:54 AM
Frequent Contributor

Another great alternative is to just use Evolved Habitats Gel Baits on rotten logs and stumps.... A lot of their baits work like magic! and since the deer usually eat all the gel and also the wood that it soaks into, it can easily be gone before season begins..... I've also heard of people using peanut butter. Screw the lid to a tree about 4 feet off the ground, screw the plastic jar back onto the lid, then just cut off the bottom of the jar. The deer will lick the peanut butter out of the jar... then all ya need do is carry in a new jar and screw it onto the existing lid - then cut off the bottom again.... Easy peesy! LOL
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 07:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have had really good luck with the Trophy Rock. If I out one out I always get a huge increase in my summertime pics!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 12:51 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
What are some alternatives to placing salt blocks in front of trail cameras?
MSG blocks?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page