How do you set your cameras? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

How do you set your cameras?

Reading another post got me to thinking. How do you guys set up your cameras?

Mine are set depending on the situation. If I have my cams on a scrape, I usually set my cameras to take a picture followed by a 20 or 40 second video. If I am setting on a trail or a travel corridor, I run strictly video.
When winter sets in and I start feeding, I run strictly pics with no video because the deer are usually hanging around the camera for quite a while. A couple of the cameras that I have now are even down to 1 pic per trip of the camera.

Also, when I am setting my cams on a trail, I try to find a junction of as many trails as I can and place the camera back a little further. This has seemed to work very well over the last couple of years. When I set on a scrape, I try to set the cam a little closer (maybe 10-20 feet)

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 10:46 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

More or less I set mine the same way but I use video at all times ! I also put some type of sent (fox urine,dominant buck urine or doe estrus on the trail at the intersection just to get them to stop for a second ! I have also put mine on the stump end of an uprooted tree buy digging out a spot in the dirt that is in the root system ! It blends in very well !

I have gotten a lot more deer on video than I have with the pics because of it having to reset for the next set of pics ! I always set my video for the longest time possible !
GobbleBuck likes this.

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 03:57 PM

Great post, this is my first year running cameras and I'm still playing with different settings.

I've been defaulting to 3 shot bursts, 10 seconds apart, with a 60 second delay. That seemed to work really well for scrapes I'm currently playing around with some salt block setups but the first one of those, that mode took too many repetitive pictures killing battery life. The other problem with the 3/10/60 is the one area I had set on a logging road, and a large group (10+ deer) moved through at a decent pace, so I know I missed pictures of some of the deer in the group. Also have a Browning cam that does "rapid bursts", I think that setting will be ideal for catching those type of trail crossings during the rut.

Only experimented with video mode on one set, going to play with it more in the future especially in the rut. The daytime videos were pretty good but the nighttime mode they were too dark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Elk, the battery life is definitely an issue for me right now. I am running lithiums and still have to change one camera every time I pull the card (two weeks). Im also getting 900 pictures to go through. Many of those pictures are repetitive, but I am getting to know the deer very very well. Its very difficult to target one buck or a couple bucks on public ground, but Im determined to track these three clear through to the green light next fall.

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:44 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I set all mine for bursts of 3 with a 60 second delay before the next burst. I played around with time lapse and videos but I just don't like watching that many videos.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersb View Post
I set all mine for bursts of 3 with a 60 second delay before the next burst. I played around with time lapse and videos but I just don't like watching that many videos.
rogersb do you change your settings when you get closer to the rut ?
I use to set my cameras the same way you do but then I put one on the same tree and put it on video with no delay and left it go for the last 2 weeks of october ! when I pulled the cards on the same day I couldn't believe the bucks I was missing on the 3 burst camera during the reset and the time lapse time ! That's the reason I run all mine on video ! My battery life is pretty good and goes months before replacing them ! of course I don't get 900 pics but I do get 250 - 90 second videos !

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLAB View Post
I use to set my cameras the same way you do but then I put one on the same tree and put it on video with no delay and left it go for the last 2 weeks of october ! when I pulled the cards on the same day I couldn't believe the bucks I was missing on the 3 burst camera during the reset and the time lapse time ! That's the reason I run all mine on video ! My battery life is pretty good and goes months before replacing them ! of course I don't get 900 pics but I do get 250 - 90 second videos !

My thoughts exactly. Everything happens so fast and so unpredictably during the rut. Video rules the rut. Even with video you still chance missing something, but that chance is much smaller. One thing I have learned with running video, watch every single one of them to the very end. Have caught more than one really nice buck bursting in the the view right at the end of a 30 or 40 second video.

On a typical set on in the fall, Im pretty happy with 20-30 trips during a two week span.

Never Forget.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:38 PM
Banned

If on a trail I set mine to trigger as quick as it can. Always 3 shots or more. If over feed I'll delay the cam 40-60 seconds but still altleast 2 shots per trigger. Those extra shots get pics you otherwise don't get. Gonna start doing some more video. Have in the past just haven't done that much the last few years.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:30 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLAB View Post
Honestly I never gave it much thought. I know when I was doing time lapse I went through a lot of batteries, but only doing videos during the rut sounds like a smart idea, thank you, I'll have to try that this year
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 02:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersb View Post
Honestly I never gave it much thought. I know when I was doing time lapse I went through a lot of batteries, but only doing videos during the rut sounds like a smart idea, thank you, I'll have to try that this year
Its a good move ! If a doe comes in and the buck is lagging behind like normal the 3 shot burst will be of the doe and you don't even know the buck was there and by the time it resets and triggers again the buck has already passed through. Just like when they are in bachleor groups and the first of 3 bucks come in to the camera. It might only get the first one or maybe part of the second one but not the big mature buck that is waiting to make sure the coast is clear and then he passes through without any pics taken because of the camera reset !
GobbleBuck likes this.

Blend in or go hungry !!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page