A few survivors - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By elk yinzer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

A few survivors

From a camera check yesterday from a new area. Have two others I'll check in a couple weeks in a go to spot. This is my first winter running cameras and it is really adding excitement and anticipation to a normally boring time of year. All in all got two good antler bucks (including one really nice 8 for the area), several yearlings, several shed bucks, and a few groups of does. Date on the one camera is wrong. Hope the photos work, usually upload from photbucket but having issues with that service the past couple days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg laurel flat rut spot bucks actual date 01-30-17.jpg (684.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg laurel flat rut spot - shed buck - actual date 2-8-17.jpg (1.09 MB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 2-2 good 8 clrcut.jpg (1.40 MB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 2-2 4 pt clrct.jpg (1.37 MB, 59 views)
GobbleBuck likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 03:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Elk, were you happy with your sets? Try anything different this time out?

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobbleBuck View Post
Elk, were you happy with your sets? Try anything different this time out?
Gobble - Yes, very happy with this check. My prior issues which you recall I referenced in your thread, I got too cute with placement trying to hide my cameras. Basically, I wasnít setting in areas seeing enough traffic. Those were trail convergences back in the crap Ė good rut spots, but not the best situations for cameras, Iíve learned they need more open areas. Also helped that we finally got some snow so I could target travel routes to and from food (oak flats) in this new area. So I somewhat got over my paranoia cameras would walk away. Also helped that grouse went out so I knew very few people would be in the area.

Iím running 4 cameras and leaving them 2-3 weeks at a time, so my next checks will probably be the end before most bucks lose their antlers, but I am coming up with good plans for this summer to rotate among my areas to see whatís out there. Thatís what Iím spending my commute time thinking about now, I have about a dozen different public spots in 3 different WMUís, just narrowing down where to focus and how to rotate to see whatís out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 05:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

in the early season i usually give a place 2-3 weeks. If i dont have anything, I try somewhere else. I learned the hard way this year not to completely abandon those spots. Between the end of archery and bear season I went into a spot that I had cammed over the early season and had no luck. I never went back in thinking it was going to be a dead area this year. The rut had obviously been very good to that area as it was absolutely thrashed with sign.

To the cameras walking away point-- I've lost two. One was this past summer in a spot that I should have known better. The other was deep in laurel last november. Im still not certain that that one wasnt a bear, but I guess I'll never know.

Glad to hear you are having success!

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:12 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

elk the best time to see whats in your area and the most exciting time you will look at your cameras are the months of June through the end of August ! that's when you see most of the antler growth and I'll warn you now they will all but disappear come September !!

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:59 AM
Frequent Contributor

I agree with REDLAB. In that something get lots of pictures of several bucks if not daily it was every other day or so and middle sept. poof there gone. It turns into a ghost. Bucks do not show up till end of Oct.

The bucks we got on camera all summer up until mid sept. we have not gotten them same bucks on camera ever since, Got different bucks throughout rest of the hunting season. Before I got into trail cameras for years out archery hunting the bucks I seen, I never seen them come rifle season.

I did learn something long ago. I have never seen deer in hunting season using same trails as they did during spring and summer. Cameras watching these trails that time of year. Got daily pictures them trails being used daily. For an example. in a 2 week span 170 plus pictures of deer. video's had to replace the cards often. Those cameras stay put through out hunting season and out all year long. We get maybe 4-5 pictures in a 2 week span. Now come spring cameras come to life and it repeats itself come mid. Sept. Trails turn cold.

We have several cameras 6 to be exact all within guessing 200 yards X 150 yards span. Wasn't getting much video's or photos in late Oct. I pulled a couple cameras just for giggles. I just placed them on a tree over looking basically nothing just put it on a tree. Went back to check them cameras what a game changer. Got lots of great video's and pictures bucks chasing doe's. I cannot say that with the cameras over looking trails that we got ton's of pictures in spring and summer.

I will leave some cameras alone over looking trails, the rest I put them where I don't expect to get pictures of deer. Maybe some year I can print the photo from the sd card the same buck I shot in hunting season.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:49 AM
The Man

Nice pics
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Checked another camera deep in the mountains, got 2 decent rack bucks, a pretty decent 8 point and a nice 4. At least 2 different shed bucks, maybe more. One has a very solid square looking body and distinctive coloring on his ears, excited to see what he looks like this summer. First go around for a new browning camera I got on sale, was pretty pleased by it. Just barely missed getting a great picture of a bobcat. Have one more camera out to check in a hemlock swamp, since the antlers are pretty much down now going to focus on trying to get some cool predator pics and grouse drumming for a couple months.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02-15-17 decent 8 and 4 pt.JPG (758.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 02-11 shed buck big deer.JPG (677.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 02-08 bobcat.JPG (775.9 KB, 32 views)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Keep telling myself last set until they start growing antlers, but I put a couple cams back out today in new areas I want to scope out.

Checked my hemlock swamp cam and got a ton of deer, but only one buck left holding his rack, a little 8. Still he should be pretty decent next year as a likely 3.5 year old. A few shed bucks as expected, nothing looked extraordinary body size.

What a great day to be out running the woods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0026.jpg (843.0 KB, 13 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page